Installed Lion and now my ubuntu partition won't boot

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just upgraded to OS X 10.7 on my dual boot macbook, and now my ubuntu partition won't boot. When I choose the Ubuntu partition, it loads grub recovery and won't go any further. OS X works fine.

I have been using rEFIt to choose which OS to boot into, but I have alos tried holding down the option key at startup to avoid it as well. I have run disk utility repair on the partition and I get the following message:

Invalid BS_jmpBoot in boot block: 000000

Does this mean that there is something seriously wrong with the partitioning of the disk, and I should start thinking about a clean install of everything?

General question: What puzzles me most is how upgrading to Lion on one partition would affect the ability to boot in another partition. My understanding is that the whole purpose of partitioning is to isolate parts of the disk so stuff like this wouldn't happen.

Thanks,
D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
General question: What puzzles me most is how upgrading to Lion on one partition would affect the ability to boot in another partition. My understanding is that the whole purpose of partitioning is to isolate parts of the disk so stuff like this wouldn't happen.

Lion installs a hidden Recovery partition in addition to the normal working partition. No doubt that it crunched GRUB in the process.

You're probably looking at repairing GRUB at a minimum and then you're going to have to open your rEFIt config file and make adjustments. It gets more complicated when you have three partitions versus two.

OP
D
Reaction score
Lion installs a hidden Recovery partition in addition to the normal working partition. No doubt that it crunched GRUB in the process.

You're probably looking at repairing GRUB at a minimum and then you're going to have to open your rEFIt config file and make adjustments. It gets more complicated when you have three partitions versus two.

Ah, I noticed the recovery partition and couldn't remember if it was there before.

Here is my output from diskutil list

$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *250.1 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 208.5 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
4: Microsoft Basic Data 37.0 GB disk0s4
5: Linux Swap 3.7 GB disk0s5

I tried directing GRUB to look for the boot folder on gpt4 instead of gpt3 by doing the following in GRUB rescue:

set prefix=(hd0,gpt4)/boot/grub
set root=hd0,gpt4

then typed boot, and and got the "unrecognized command" response. There doesn't seem to be much that I can do from the grub rescue prompt. Any other ideas for repairing GRUB?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It looks like you may wind up having to reinstall Ubuntu. Another thing I suggest you do if and when you decide to reinstall, is not create a Linux swap file. It just complicates the mix and is really not needed provided you have enough memory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.