Office vs iWorks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White MacBook (May07), 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / iPhone 4 / iPad 2
Hi all! Just a newbie question, tried searching it but can't really find much info:

Wondering what are some advantages/disadvantages of getting Microsoft Office 11 vs getting iWorks? I understand getting the Office is pricy but it is compatible with PC Office software whereas iWorks might have some formatting issues.

Also, I looked up "iWorks" and apparently there are 3 different kind..? Pages, Keynote, and Numbers. Which I'm guessing is "Word, Powerpoint, Excel".

I also have an iPad and want to get it for that as well so I would end up paying $120 for all ($19.99 each for Lion and $19.99 each for iOS). Will the Office 11 work for both Lion and iOS?

Thoughts? Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Will the Office 11 work for both Lion and iOS?

No, only for Lion. Microsoft has not released an Office suite for iOS yet. If you must have compatibility between Office Mac and Office PC then it's best to purchase Office 2011. However, if you need compatibility between your Mac and iOS, you will be better off by purchasing the iWork applications.

OP
Ylwf3vr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White MacBook (May07), 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / iPhone 4 / iPad 2
Thanks! How much of a formatting issues does iWork and Microsoft Office have? And what are some of the issues?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The issues will mostly involve things like borders, graphs, and embedded artwork. Some templates will also not transpose. Nothing major and nothing that can't be corrected. Of course if you have very large documents that you need to work with, you may be better off staying with Office and wait until MS releases a version for iOS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.