ubuntu 10.10 on a iMac G4

Reaction score
i need help uploading ubuntu 10.10 on my iMac G4. I need a answer as soon as possible.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you're looking to install Ubuntu on your G4, take a look at the installation guide here. Make sure that you have the PPC version - the website doesn't default to this when you go to the download page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
uploading usually means transferring files to "some other place" using the internet.

I guess you mean downloading and installing?
Get 10.10 for powerPC from here:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/10.10/release/ubuntu-10.10-alternate-powerpc.iso

burn the .iso file to a CD. Mac's Disk Utility will do that.

Put the CD in the G4 Mac and restart, and hold the c key until you can tell the computer is using the CD. Complete the install.

Ask questions if there are issues.

OP
A
Reaction score
we have tried holding down c in bootup and putting in the codes but ever code takes me to a blank screen, also ever time i get on the internet on it it just randomly closes the window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
and putting in the codes but ever code takes me to a blank screen, also ever time i get on the internet on it it just randomly closes the window.

I don't understand either of those two things - please explain what you mean a little more.
- Putting in codes?
- get on the internet it just closes the window?

OP
A
Reaction score
I don't understand either of those two things - please explain what you mean a little more.
- Putting in codes?
- get on the internet it just closes the window?

when we hold it down it says press tab for codes and we do it gives us codes like live,live-nosplash,live-nosplash64

when we turn it on th the apple server we will go on safari (cause firefox dosnt work it wont even turn on) and type in google then it closes the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
OK, so the bootloader works and it gives you a message that you need to enter boot options - and it gives suggestions.

I don't have ubuntu installed on a G4, but I do have debian 6.04... so I'm guessing a little here.

I suggest you try this boot option:
install video=ofonly

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.