How to stop preview from automatically saving documents?

Reaction score
I just downloaded OSX Lion today and have been a bit annoyed with a few things. I often have large PDF files for grad school and relisten to lectures on VLC. However, it seems like preview automatically saves these files every few minutes whenever I pause the lecture on VLC.This is annoying because the pdf files are really large and saving them could take one to two minutes. I am unable to take notes during that period. Is there any way where I can disable this function?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you sure they're being saved? It sounds more like the large PDF files are being buffered by VLC. Preview has no playback capability.

OP
O
Reaction score
Well, I have the lecture capture playing on VLC (separately as MPEG-4) and I have the corresponding lecture as a pdf on preview. I'm pretty sure it's preview that is "saving changes" on the pdf.

This is actually really annoying, since I have to pause the lecture capture for a couple of minutes whenever preview just starts saving my files :(

OP
O
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to stop these automatic save changes? It's becoming REALLY annoying. Even during lecture, it's so hard to take notes because the pdf always freezes whenever it's saving changes...

I realize you can "lock" the document to prevent further changes, but you will still have to "unlock" it is you want to change it on your own. Is there ANY WAY to get rid of this automatic saving in the "unlocked" status?!?!?!?

OP
O
Reaction score
I guess there isn't a way? :(. Is there anyway I can go back to Snow Leopard? I hate this feature!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Apparently, disabling the restore windows feature will turn off auto save but does so for every application. You can do this by going to System Preferences > General and unchecking “Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps.”

OP
O
Reaction score
Apparently, disabling the restore windows feature will turn off auto save but does so for every application. You can do this by going to System Preferences > General and unchecking “Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps.”
I tried that, and I still get the auto-save feature. Shouldn't there actually a documented way to turn this feature off? And if there isn't, is there a way for me to revert back to Snow Leopard???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.