Short name - a problem or not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.1 GHz PPC G5
As of January I configured a new system from the ground up - reformatted etc.
iMac 2.93GHz i7 OSX Lion

Though I've had Macs for decades (literally) I chose to not use Migration Assistant - but reinstall everything by hand to reduce clutter.

It's all great - but recently while having some issues with 1Password I ran a troubleshooting report and it said
Your OS X user account has an invalid shortname.

That's NEWS to ME!

I used the Apple Setup assistant from the Lion Installer. The short name isn't something that the user even creates is it? If so - certainly the installer wouldn't allow an INVALID short name - would it?

FWIW - the only thing "invalid" about it is starting with a capital letter, instead of all lower case.

I'm stumped as to how this happened, and wonder if it's really any problem or not. Everything seems to be working fine.

I already know how to change the short name, so no advice needed there. Just wondering if I should mess with it or leave well enough alone?????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I didn't think you could create it with a capital letter. I thought the short name was forced lower case.

If I were you I'd switch it to all lowercase.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.