how to expand battery life?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and to macs as well :Blushing: I just have one question for those of you who leave your mac plugged in most of the time. What do you do when you shut it down? do you still leave it plugged in?

And also when you plug it in, does the surface of your laptop also get kind of funny to touch, like theres some kind of tension on the surface, around the trackpad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Unibody, C2D 2.0GHz, 4GB, 500GB

My battery doesn't get too much use o_O

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 2GB RAM 500GB HD OS X Lion 10.7.3
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and to macs as well :Blushing: I just have one question for those of you who leave your mac plugged in most of the time. What do you do when you shut it down? do you still leave it plugged in?

I unplug the power adapter from the compeer after I turn it off, as when I leave it on the green light is on even though my MacBook is off, and I figure why waste any light if the computer is off anyway? ;P

And also when you plug it in, does the surface of your laptop also get kind of funny to touch, like theres some kind of tension on the surface, around the trackpad?

Mine doesn't get any kind of funny to the touch. I did the test this morning putting attention to what you mention, specially around the trackpad, and it definitely doesn't. You might want to get that checked out, I don-t think its normal ;)

Reaction score
Don’t connect the battery all time with the AC; try to charge the battery only when it fully discharged. If you will charge it all time, the battery capacity of power backup will be less.

backup power

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is the New Tech guide to proper care of the battery: OtherWorldComputing.com

They don't recommend having it plugged on the AC all the time, instead, you should remove the battery from the laptop and store it properly (with 40% charge level in a cool place), but I suggest doing this only if you have an extra one, because when the battery is not present, system performance is reduced by up to 50%. What I did was leave the old (nearly-dead) battery on the macbook, and stored the new one properly. I have an alarm in my calendar to remind me to "exercise" my primary and spare battery once a month.

"- Heat generated by various components and usage types can have a negative effect on battery life and the chemical processes within the battery's power cells. Therefore, if you normally use your notebook computer on AC power on a desk, consider removing the battery from the notebook and store the battery at a 40% charge level in a cool place.
(NOTE: We have tested and discovered with Intel®-based Apple laptop computers, when the battery is not present, system performance is reduced by up to 50%.)"

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also I wanted to mention that you can't really trust the Battery Information condition, as mine was dead even though it said it was in "Good" condition, these are the stats it showed before I had to buy a new one because it only held up a couple minutes (it had only 226 cycle runs in 5 years because it was mostly plugged to the AC and never exercised it):

"Battery Information:
Model Information:
Serial Number: DP-ASMB013-351b-2817
Manufacturer: DP
Device name: ASMB013
Pack Lot Code: 0001
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0102
Hardware Revision: 0300
Cell Revision: 0100
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 65337
Fully charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 65337
Health Information:
Cycle count: 226
Condition: Good
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): -11
Voltage (mV): 10698

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 5
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 5
Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake On LAN: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Battery Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 5
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 5
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:
UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:
Connected: Yes
Charging: No"

And with another app to read the battery info:
The coconutBattery 2.7.2 information is:
"Batttery charge
Current charge: 65337 mAh
Maximum charge: 65337 mAh
100% (full green colored bar)

Battery capacity
Current capacity: 65337 mAh
Design capacity: 5020 mAh
1301% (full green colored bar)

Details:
Mac Model Macbook1,1
Age of your Mac: 63 months
Battery load cycles: 226
Battery temperature: 30.1ºC
Battery power usage: 0.0 Watt"

Reaction score
To expand the battery life, you should charge them, by switching off your mac-book. When your battery will be fully discharged you should connect it with AC power to charge it again, you should not connect the battery always with AC power, it can reduce the battery life.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.