can't unlock Recovery HD disk to install OS X

Reaction score
Im having some issues with my macbook pro and i would like to erase and reinstall mac os x lion on the "recovery HD disk" but it says its locked and i can't do any with it

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about telling us what issues you're having? Maybe we can help you resolve them rather than reinstall Lion.

You can gain access to the Recovery partition by holding down the option key during boot up and selecting Recovery. From Recovery you can then run Disk Utility to erase and reinstall Lion if you choose.

OP
P
Reaction score
the main issue I'm having is when i unplug the computer from the power source so its running on battery only, it slows wayyyyyyyy down. every thing i do with it lags really bad, scrolling in a browser, opening and closing applications. or even just click on a button.

OP
P
Reaction score
i would really just like to more or less restore it to factory default. i don't really have anything that I'm worried about losing on it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
See my first post. You reinstall Lion from the Recovery partition not on it. Boot into the Recovery partition and select Disk Utilities. Use Disk Utilities to erase your hard drive and format it for Lion. After which, download and install Lion from the App store. You don't have to pay again.

OP
P
Reaction score
when i try and erase the disk it says cant unmount disk every time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
What chscag is trying to say is you don't erase the recovery partition. The message you're getting about can't unmount, is (nearly) always about the drive you started up from - the recovery partition. You don't want to erase the recovery partition. You want to erase the normal startup drive/Volume.

Your responses don't make it clear, so we've been repeating here.

OP
P
Reaction score
okay well i clearly dont know how to do what you are asking, is there somewhere i can read on exactly how to boot up to get me to where i need to be? how else do i get to the erase part without booting in recovery? if i boot up normaly i can erase it because thats the disk i booted from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Please, we're not trying to trip you up here. It really sounds like you want to delete/erase the recovery partition (not correct thing to do) - instead of the normal startup partition.
You do know that installing Lion puts two partitions on your Mac - a startup partition (the majority of the hard drive), AND the recovery partition (a small partition - I guess about 5 GB)?
OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery
Apple - OS X Lion Recovery - Introducing Lion Recovery
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3710668?start=0&tstart=0

OP
P
Reaction score
Yea I understand that. So you said that's probably not what I want to do, do you have another suggestion? I really do appreciate the help.

OP
P
Reaction score
Okay I read your post wrong. I don't want to erase the recovery partition. I understand what the confusion is. I really just want to completely wipe out my Mac and start it back like I just bought it (if possible).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
OK - you need a different boot source. Did you make a bootable USB flash drive? Or, do you have a 10.6 DVD to start from?
You can't re-partition or erase a drive that you boot from.

To be sure - you know the recovery partition takes the place of a DVD for Lion? It is the installer and Utilities disk.

OP
P
Reaction score
i have a usb drive, how to i make it bootable? and is 4gb enough space?

yes- i understand now, thank you

OP
P
Reaction score
okay i created a partition on that disk. im not sure what to do from here.. i dont feel like im doing anything that is helping my computer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Did you read all the details on that page?

It details creating a recovery disk and booting into Lion Recovery to reinstall Lion

WCB

Reaction score
Im having some issues with my macbook pro and i would like to erase and reinstall mac os x lion on the "recovery HD disk" but it says its locked and i can't do any with it

I am having the same problem. I called Apple, and after having a three hour discussion of trying to solve the problem, they are sending me to the experts at the Apple store. I will be heading there today at two. They said most likely they will have to send my computer in to have the HD replaced.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.