iMac - SSD worth it?

Reaction score
I'm saving for a new iMac and will hopefully be able to make my purchase by the end of June. It'll be used for photos, web browsing, music and video storage, and gaming (Starcraft 2 & Diablo 3).

My original plan was to pick up a refurb 27" base model from Apple's website but as I've done more research I'm wondering if I should get an SSD in addition to the 1TB drive that comes with the iMac. Does it really make a huge difference in terms of loading games and web pages or is it just a nice feature on the initial boot up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I am going to be installing one in my iMac soon. I put an Ssd in my MacBook pro because it gets a lot of abuse and it boots in 9 seconds instead of 45 and everything seems faster. I really recommend Ssd drives in any computer.

Reaction score
If you have the money, yes I would recommend the SSD. I have a SSD on my Lenovo Thinkpad x220 and it boots up in about 15 seconds (That is fast for Windows 7 boot up). The speed is very worth it, especially for processing pictures or anything graphic intensive.

May God bless!

Ed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
it is worth the money to upgrade to ssd drive, it runs as fast as the winds blow ( to para phase forest gump running the football)

Reaction score
Are you thinking of having Apple install the SSD for you? Just asking as most videos I've seen seem to indicate user-replacing HDDs on iMacs is quite difficult.

OP
G
Reaction score
I was planning on ordering it online and having it shipped to me, so Apple would do the install. Unfortunately it looks like the money isn't going to come together at this point, so I might have to wait six months or more to get one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
video storage

You are aware that for the price of a 128GB SSD, you could purchase a 7200RPM 500GB+ HD correct?

You can eat through space very quickly if you're storing HD photos or movies. Personally, I'd rather more than double the storage space, than slightly faster speed overall.

Reaction score
Exactly! Amazon lists Crucial and Samsung 128GB SSDs in the $160 to $180 range. I just purchased a 750GB 7200 HD in the $170 range a couple weeks ago. I definitely notice a slight difference in speed when opening apps compared to the original 250GB 5400.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.