airport express & routers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL
my bad if this has been asked before, but the friggin airport express is on sale today...

okay, I'll go home for the holidays visiting friends and family in good ol' germany. apparently all the place where I'll stay have wired networks (unfortunately no wifi routers)...

thus I was thinking of getting airport express for cheap and take it with me on the trip...here's my question..

from what I understand one usually connects the AEx w/ the cable modem, right? ..but what if a router is already connected to the cable/DSL modem? just connect AEx with one of the router jacks in which one would usually plug the network cable going to the computer?

I'm just wondering if plugging AExp. into a router instead of a cable/dsl modem will cause any problems in terms of getting an IP etc. technically, that would be 2 routers wired together w/ 2 NATs etc., right?

any help/info/nput is very much appreciated!

M

Merlinblack

You could turn off nat(if you can, it shouldn't make any difference) and DHCP and it should work. The AEx would simply act as a AP to the network. Watch yourself though network admins can get a little touchy when you do stuff like that as you are basically opening a hole in their network.

I'd check with whoever is running the network before you plug a wireless AP into their network. Assuming it's not just your family's network.

I beleive that the power is different in Germany so make sure you bring an adapter (You've probably already thought of that).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.