New battery less fan noise??

Reaction score
This one is very strange... I have an older white Macbook 13.3 inch. The battery wasn't holding a charge for more than an hour so decided to purchase an aftermarket battery because it was so cheap. The strangest thing happened after using the macbook for a few hours after installing the new battery. The fan doesn't seem to be running at all?? With the old battery, if I even started to watch a youtube video or something, the fan would run at full speed the entire time and die down after the video was done. With the new battery, not sure if it's even running. If I listen closely, I hear noise, but not sure if it's the fan?? This Macbook still has the dedicated mouse clicker thing. I noticed with the new battery, the clicker doesn't really click but still works fine... Meaning that the new battery is putting pressure where it shouldn't so the mouse clicker doesn't make the clicking sound. Again, works fine though.

So my question is, was my old battery defective? Is that why the fan was running all of the time?? or, is the new battery putting pressure on something it shouldn't causing the fan not to run?? Could a battery putting pressure on those parts cause the fan to stop running? Not sure where the fan is located in the Macbook to understand if that theory would make sense.

If anyone could shed some light on this, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The fan on your MacBook runs all the time. If it didn't, the CPU would quickly overheat and the thermal sensors would shut the machine down. Idle RPM for the fan on the 13" White Polycarbon MacBook is 1800 RPM with a CPU temp of around 45 degrees Celsius.

Most after market batteries do not meet Apple specifications and should be avoided. Authorized Apple dealers like Other World Computing sell batteries that exceed the Apple specs.

OP
Y
Reaction score
The fan on your MacBook runs all the time. If it didn't, the CPU would quickly overheat and the thermal sensors would shut the machine down. Idle RPM for the fan on the 13" White Polycarbon MacBook is 1800 RPM with a CPU temp of around 45 degrees Celsius.

Most after market batteries do not meet Apple specifications and should be avoided. Authorized Apple dealers like Other World Computing sell batteries that exceed the Apple specs.

Thank for the reply. Well, getting a new macbook in a year so just needed something cheap on a temporary basis. So I guess you're telling me the battery doesn't have anything to do with the fan? If so, I can rest easy. Thanks for the quick reply.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So my question is, was my old battery defective? Is that why the fan was running all of the time??

The only way I can think of that would make what you described make sense is...if the old battery was defective in some way...it was thus generating a lot of extra heat...causing the inside of the computer to get hotter...and then the computers fans running faster/louder in an attempt to cool itself.

No...the new battery isn't putting any pressure on anything...otherwise it wouldn't fit in the computer properly. The battery probably isn't even located near the fan anyway to cause any sort of battery-fan interaction.

If you were using a temperature monitoring program...you would know what your computers internal temps were...(before & after installing the new battery)...and if the temps were lower AFTER installing the new battery...then that would certainly explain why your computers fan(s) are less noisy (lower temps = lower fan rpm's = less fan noise).

- Nick

OP
Y
Reaction score
The only way I can think of that would make what you described make sense is...if the old battery was defective in some way...it was thus generating a lot of extra heat...causing the inside of the computer to get hotter...and then the computers fans running faster/louder in an attempt to cool itself.

No...the new battery isn't putting any pressure on anything...otherwise it wouldn't fit in the computer properly. The battery probably isn't even located near the fan anyway to cause any sort of battery-fan interaction.

If you were using a temperature monitoring program...you would know what your computers internal temps were...(before & after installing the new battery)...and if the temps were lower AFTER installing the new battery...then that would certainly explain why your computers fan(s) are less noisy (lower temps = lower fan rpm's = less fan noise).

- Nick

Thanks for the reply! Well, after hearing what you guys have said, I think I'm going to be all good with the new battery. The new battery def fits different because as stated previously, the mouse click bar doesn't click anymore with the new battery in. With the old battery it would. O well, I'm going to stop stressing out about the new battery and just enjoy my computer. Thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.