Download 1080p videos from iCloud on new iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
As far as I can tell, whenever I download a video from iCloud using the iTunes app, it gives me two options. I can choose between SD and HD. It seems like when I choose HD I get the 720p version, even when iTunes offers the video in 1080p. I was wondering if anyone figured out how to download 1080p video from iCloud on the new iPad.

C

chas_m

I don't know, but try this: go into iTunes, select the film @1080p like you're going to buy it. It will of course tell you you've already got it.

THEN try selecting from iCloud. Maybe your XML file of what you own just needs a little nudge to update it.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Nope. It looks like I can't download 1080p content directly from the new iPad. I need to download it from iTunes and then sync it. That's annoying.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so I've now figured out what the issue is. On the new iPad, if you download a video from iCloud, and select HD you get it in 1080p if it's available. The issue is, and I guess that this is a bug in the software, if the 1080p file is 870 MB and the 720p file is 700 MB, the iTunes app will tell you that the file you are downloading is 700 MB, which implies that you are downloading the 720p version. Once the file reaches 700 out of 700 MB it will continue downloading until it reaches 870 out of 700 MB.

I had always just looked at the file size when the download began and compared it to the 1080p file size which was larger. I therefore assumed that the file I was downloading was the 720p file. It looks like the iTunes app needs to be updated to list the 1080p file size as its target, but otherwise it's working fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.