osx 10.5

Reaction score
I'm still operating in the ancient dark ages with osx 10.5 on one of those old, old power pc g5 boat anchors! I'm in need of a clean copy install disc of 10.5. I've followed some of those that are available on ebay and am having a very difficult time bringing myself to accept the pricing! $200 or $300 seems ridiculously high in view of the fact the version is so outdated! Where is another good place to seek a reasonably priced clean copy of 10.5? Thanks to anyone with a reasonable response. Of course if I don't hear anything then I'll know I'm totally out of my mind to even think such a stupid thought!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm still operating in the ancient dark ages with osx 10.5 on one of those old, old power pc g5 boat anchors! I'm in need of a clean copy install disc of 10.5. I've followed some of those that are available on ebay and am having a very difficult time bringing myself to accept the pricing! $200 or $300 seems ridiculously high in view of the fact the version is so outdated!

Although still expensive...I bet that I can look on e-Bay right now...and find some full retail versions of OS 10.5 Leopard for $80-$100!;)

There's no way you need to spend $200-$300!:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
I've been watching many of these go up for bid and find bidders getting what I see as being foolish with their bids. Instead of holding back and letting the bid expire, thus forcing the seller to re-list the item at a possible lower reserve, they keep bidding it up until it's way overboard as far as I'm concerned. It's like hurry, hurry, hurry - the world will come to an end if you don't grab it right now!!! Ye gad!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've been watching many of these go up for bid and find bidders getting what I see as being foolish with their bids. Instead of holding back and letting the bid expire, thus forcing the seller to re-list the item at a possible lower reserve, they keep bidding it up until it's way overboard as far as I'm concerned. It's like hurry, hurry, hurry - the world will come to an end if you don't grab it right now!!! Ye gad!!

I know exactly what you're saying about e-Bay auctions...but I've specifically been watching the selling prices (ending auction prices) of OS 10.5 retail install disks for at least 2-3 years now...and believe me...I've seen lots & lots of OS 10.5 retail install disks sell for $80-$100 (it actually used to be $100-$125)...but the price has come down some in the past year.

Sure...there are lots of OS 10.5 auctions with "Buy It Now" prices of $150, $175, $225...and higher...but these should be ignored.

Pick out a few auctions with 1-2 days remaining (and the current prices are $50-$60 bucks)...and watch/track them. Hopefully one of them will end around $100 or less (with your high bid)!:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Not to be the clucking nanny but you could have saved yourself a lot of trouble by a) holding on to your original install discs and b) keeping up with updates or buying a retail copy of Leopard when it was available all those years ago.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.