Underwhelming?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
While I of course noticed a large leap from the original to the new one, I have to admit that I really wasn't "blown away" by what I experienced.

Perhaps it was that I just had my expectations WAY too high for the thing. I don't really know.

I guess I'm just wondering if there is anyone else out there that shares my opinion?

Are you really THAT blown away by it or did it leave you a bit "underwhelmed"?

Well I just upgraded from the original to the new, and it's night and day. First of all, I really feel I can use this instead of my laptop 60 - 70% of the time. Before, if I wanted to check my email, social media updates and do browsing, it was painful. Slow transitions between FaceBook and the web, or linkedin and my email (for vice-versa) and then a nice crash when opening Wired after watching Netflix (because Netflix used all my memory and doesn't release it), I was always closing apps and restarting the device.

Not any more - every app switch is super-smooth, I've had no crashes in the 24 hours I've had it, the keyboard responds immediately rather than 4 - 5 seconds later and I have more confidence in clicking links in emails I need to check (before I'd usually go to my laptop due to speed issues).

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I have to say that the iPad 3 is much easier to read for a long duration than the iPad 1 was. And the increased ability on multi-tasking is fantastic - it switches smoothly and instantaneously between apps, where as the original used to pause for a fraction of a second during the transition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
According to independent testing, the new iPad is far more color accurate than previous models. It now achieves 99% color spectrum, whereasthe previous iPad was only able to achieve 61%.

New iPad LCD showdown proves high-quality, steep power needs | Electronista

Exactly. I've noticed colors in movies look more realistic and less like 1980's TV. I think an abundance of over-enriched colors have ruined our appreciation for subtlety.

I've seen photos and reports of people on Twitter (valid people, some are designers/developers for well known software companies) of an office full of new iPads and they all have different color temps. Some are pink, some yellow, some red and some orange.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...(valid people, ...

I had a good laugh "Stretch"...when I read what you wrote/I quoted above. Like there's "valid people"...and then everyone else!;)

I know what you meant (experts/experienced people in the topic area being discussed)...but I still had a good "chuckle"!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Lol, but you know exactly what I mean!

There's valid people, and then there are people like consumer reports.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've seen photos and reports of people on Twitter (valid people, some are designers/developers for well known software companies) of an office full of new iPads and they all have different color temps. Some are pink, some yellow, some red and some orange.

That would suggest either multiple manufacturers or a very poorly controlled single manufacturer. I would expect minor differences, but nothing that drastic - you don't see the same variance between same model laptops or monitors.

Reaction score
Of course everyone has their own expectations opinions...but there are at least 2-3 folks in this thread that upgraded from an iPad 1 to the "New iPad (iPad 3)...and they sounded pretty darn impressed!::)

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipad-hardware-accessories/269770-did-you-get-your-new-ipad-yet.html

- Nick

Much agreed on this point. If you are upgrading from the original iPad to the new IPad (3rd Gen), yes that is a big difference. From the iPad 2 to 3rd Gen, not so much except the retina display. However, the clarity of the retina display is quite significant.

Take care and may God bless.

Ed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 500gb
Other than the display, the upgrade is all inside. A multi-core processor and most importantly, more RAM is a significant thing. Even though the actual RAM upgrade has not been officially revealed as far as I have seen, the iPad 1 had 256 MB and the iPad 2 had 512. It is safe to assume the new one has 1.0 GB. That is a very big deal.

I noticed that some native OSX apps are now ported to the iPad, which is one reasons this spec upgrade was necessary and I have also observed that the biggest selling point of the new Mac OS coming out this summer, Mountain Lion, is that IOS apps will be ported to the Mac.

The big picture is that they are going somewhere with this and the release of this iPad as well as the Mac OS coming this summer are just steps toward that goal. Apple has always made incrimental steps toward new innovative applications of technology.

Since I got my new iPad, I have taken to using my original iPad at work so I am using both every day and I tell you, this is a very significant upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod
Exactly well said. No body has mentioned the ram before. That was the reason I went from the first iPad to the new one. The speed difference and no more crashes, yay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
Other than the display, the upgrade is all inside. A multi-core processor and most importantly, more RAM is a significant thing. Even though the actual RAM upgrade has not been officially revealed as far as I have seen, the iPad 1 had 256 MB and the iPad 2 had 512. It is safe to assume the new one has 1.0 GB. That is a very big deal.

I noticed that some native OSX apps are now ported to the iPad, which is one reasons this spec upgrade was necessary and I have also observed that the biggest selling point of the new Mac OS coming out this summer, Mountain Lion, is that IOS apps will be ported to the Mac.

The iFixit teardown verified the new iPad has 1GB of RAM. Also, it's not that Apple is porting apps between the two OSes in actuality. iPhoto for iOS is a new iOS app, not a port of the desktop version. At the same time, the reminders and calendar apps in Mountain Lion are actually updates to the existing OS X apps, Apple merely changed the names and UI to be consistent across platforms.

The only change on the processor side was moving from a dual-core to a quad-core GPU - the CPU side is the same dual-core setup used in the A5 chip.

Reaction score
For me, I am blown away by the retina display.
However, I am coming from an old guy perspective. I use my iPad to surf the net a lot, read a lot, look at my photos and play slower games and use mostly less demanding apps. I loved my iPad 2, but the dot matrix look to the fonts drove me crazy, hopefully the dot matrix look won't bother my wife :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.