Macbook Pro won't recognize Sony Bravia anymore

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 4GB 1333MHz 320GB / 60G iPod Touch
I have a 2011 Macbook Pro 2.3 Ghz, 4GB RAM, OS X Version 10.6.8. I've been connecting it to my Sony Bravia everyday since I got it without an issue (HDMI cable and the Moshi converter). But yesterday, for some reason, it just won't work anymore. I didn't update my system, nor the TV's system. I've read all threads here regarding the issues that may be. I've tried everything (PRAM, disconnecting every cable, trying other HDMI ports, etc). I know the problem is not either of the cables (HDMI nor Moshi) because when I hook the Mac to my Olevia TV, it works. I also connected the PS3 to every HDMI port, and it works. So the problem it's not the HDMI port either.

I'd deeply appreciate any ideas :[ Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try resetting the SMC on your MBP. Refer to this LINK. Also, try unplugging the Bravia for awhile and let it set. Let's see if that will work.

OP
Lucibel
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 4GB 1333MHz 320GB / 60G iPod Touch
Hey chscag thanks for responding. How can I tell if I did reset the SCM correctly? Because I followed the steps but still didn't work... also yes, I had unplugged the Bravia for a while then re-connected, but no result. That was done with the Sony guys at the phone... but they couldn't solve the issue either... we tried a bunch of things and at the end they said I had to contact Apple; and Apple said that since the MBP can actually connect properly with other TVs, then that it's clearly the TV's problem :Grimmace:

So assuming I did reset the SCM correctly... do you or anyone else has any other suggestion I should try? I don't know what else to do... I'm so bummed sad that I can't hookup my MBP anymore :(

Thanks in advance...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your Sony Bravia has a setup menu, try resetting everything back to factory default. Also, if you have access to another computer, Mac or PC, try hooking the Bravia to it to see if it's recognized. I suspect the problem is with the TV and not your MBP but we need to find out for sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.