About to upgrade from Leopard to Lion....

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have finally decided that I am going to upgrade to Lion today.

I already did a back-up but am wondering if there is anything else I need to do before
upgrading?

I am assuming it's going to take at least a few hours to do?

By the way, I am doing this for my Mac-mini 2010.

Thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi all,

I have finally decided that I am going to upgrade to Lion today.

I already did a back-up but am wondering if there is anything else I need to do before
upgrading?

I am assuming it's going to take at least a few hours to do?

By the way, I am doing this for my Mac-mini 2010.

Thanks
You do realize you can't upgrade from Leopard to Lion unless you use the USB, unless you meant Snow Leopard instead.

OP
G
Reaction score
My big concern is what applications are not compatible?

I have MS Office 2004 which I heard isn't compatible and also I have Dreamweaver CS3 (which am not sure if it is compatible)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Any older PPC applications won't work. If it is a universal binary then it should work, but some of those have a few issues too.

If you want to be sure it works, check out this table, it will tell if it works under Lion, and if there are any issues.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My big concern is what applications are not compatible?

I have MS Office 2004 which I heard isn't compatible and also I have Dreamweaver CS3 (which am not sure if it is compatible)

Consult this table to determine Snow Leopard compatibility:

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't respond about Dreamweaver, however, I can tell you for sure that Office 2004 will not work. You need to upgrade that to at least 2008, preferably 2011.

C

chas_m

The snowleopard.wikidot link is still somewhat useful but most entries are VERY BADLY out of date now.

Snow Leopard is the last OS that will run PPC applications but really you NEED (seriously, NEED!) to start migrating to either the Intel/Universal versions of those apps, or find modern replacements. Otherwise you are going to be very badly stuck come the next computer you buy.

Dreamweaver CS3 *should* work (perhaps with minor bugs) under Snow Leopard, I had (have) the Print suite for CS3 and everything works even on Lion, but I'm not using DW.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The snowleopard.wikidot link is still somewhat useful but most entries are VERY BADLY out of date now.

Is it??...hmm...I was hoping it was being updated constantly to stay up to date. Guess I'll have to stop referring to it...or hopefully find something that's more up to date.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Snow Leopard is the last OS that will run PPC applications but really you NEED (seriously, NEED!) to start migrating to either the Intel/Universal versions of those apps, or find modern replacements. Otherwise you are going to be very badly stuck come the next computer you buy.

Dreamweaver CS3 *should* work (perhaps with minor bugs) under Snow Leopard, I had (have) the Print suite for CS3 and everything works even on Lion, but I'm not using DW.

Is it??...hmm...I was hoping it was being updated constantly to stay up to date. Guess I'll have to stop referring to it...or hopefully find something that's more up to date.

- Nick

Guys, check out Roaring Apps' compatibility table.

Reaction score
Beware if you have a Dymo Labeler

My old but very useable Dymo 330 no longer works under Lion. Nobody tells you that, but in one upgrade I had to stop using the Dymo, because the "dimmies" there didn't include the 330 in the new Dymo software for Lion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.