• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Couldn't find a Mac to buy if my life depended on it.. (Rant Thread)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just picked it up a few hours ago. He was really far away, so we had to meet while he was in the area. (told me he was going to meet a friend, so he met us along the way there)

Well it's really great you got it...and it wasn't sold to someone else!:) Since with these sort of deals...anything can happen if the deal doesn't get done quickly.

What's really great...that MacBook is capable of being upgraded to 6gig of ram...so some room "to grow" in the future. The previous generation was capable of 4gig...but only 3.25 was addressable.

- Nick

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Well it's really great you got it...and it wasn't sold to someone else!:) Since with these sort of deals...anything can happen if the deal doesn't get done quickly.

What's really great...that MacBook is capable of being upgraded to 6gig of ram...so some room "to grow" in the future. The previous generation was capable of 4gig...but only 3.25 was addressable.

- Nick

Exactly, I really wanted to avoid any models older than this one. I might upgrade eventually, but for now 4GB is plenty.

Reaction score
Exactly, I really wanted to avoid any models older than this one. I might upgrade eventually, but for now 4GB is plenty.

OP, would you have preferred the mac book you got or my 24 " iMac with a 3.06 GHz duo core with 4GB memory for $500.00? I'm not trying to talk you out of your deal or anything I'm just trying to get a feel for something. OS Lion 10.7.3. I think mine is 2007 original OS was Leopard. And as I'm reminded by my sig, 1tb hard drive.

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
OP, would you have preferred the mac book you got or my 24 " iMac with a 3.06 GHz duo core with 4GB memory for $500.00? I'm not trying to talk you out of your deal or anything I'm just trying to get a feel for something. OS Lion 10.7.3. I think mine is 2007 original OS was Leopard. And as I'm reminded by my sig, 1tb hard drive.

I probably would've still bought the MacBook, consider it only cost $400, just personally for me, I wouldn't have any room for a 24" iMac anywhere.

$500 is a good price for that computer though.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
$500 for that iMac is not bad.

Like I think I already said, I have the white version of your Macbook with 4GB RAM for now. It works fine for what I do on a notebook computer. I might have also mentioned reason I don't go to 6GB is with Dual Channel RAM you need a matched pair. To get 6GB you need a 4GB and 2GB stick so it will NO longer work in Dual Channel config. I have in many tests found Dual Channel ram to be faster. So as long as the 4GB is enough for Lion (it is for me) I am going to stick with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I'm even thinking of selling my immaculate 2008 MacBook so I can buy an iPad. :)

Say it isn't so!!!

I have an IPad, which I like. It's a great portable surfing device and ebook reader. I also have a MacBook air. While the Air can pose as a clumsy tablet, the IPad can't be used as a computer any more than a pickup truck can be used as an 18 wheeler.

I kept reading about this editor and that writer who "replaced" their laptop with a new 'pad, so I tried it. I hooked up the little wireless keyboard, then experimented a couple of stands to hook the two together. One configuration after another. After a few days of trying, I realized that all I had was an ersatz netbook, and not a very good one at that.

In my opinion, if you are a consumer of stuff, then you can get by. If you need to create anything, or be a power surfer, you might want to borrow one to try before you log on to Ebay.

However, if you do make the switch and it is successful, please come back and give us the details.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.