Can Time Capsule work with ethernet instead of wifi?

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently bought a 2TB Time Capsule (4th Gen) because I filled-up all the space on my MacBook Pro and needed somewhere to keep all my files.

I know that Time Capsule is intended as a back-up device, rather than an external hard drive, but I went for it anyway because I really liked the wireless function.

When I began transferring all my files onto the Time Capsule, I discovered that the process takes several times longer than it would over USB. What's more, when I play videos on my laptop which are saved on the Time Capsule, they tend to be incredibly slow and glitchy.

I know that there's no way of connecting the Time Capsule to my laptop over USB, but someone on this forum told me that I can connect the two using Ethernet. I have tried doing this, but have seen little evidence that it is doing anything. Files don't transfer or play any faster. What's more, when I turn my Wifi off, the Time Capsule completely disappears from the computer.

I guess what I'm asking is: Does the Time Capsule only work on Wifi, or can the Ethernet cable act like a USB connection, allowing it to be just like an external hard drive. (And if so, how do I make Time Capsule recognise the Ethernet connection?)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The Time Capsule can be used over Ethernet. I do it daily since my Mac Book Pro is only a few feet from the Time Capsule.

Not quite sure exactly why it is not showing with the wifi off. I suspect it is something basic in the network setup that needs minor tweaking. Couple of questions come to mind.

1. Can you describe your basic network setup? Are there other routers/devices involved?

2. If you are in Finder and use the Go menu and select Network does the TC appear at all?

3. Is your Time Capsule set up to extend a network wirelessly? In some versions of the Time Capsule setting it to extend a network wirelessly deactivates the Ethernet ports.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.

Replies to your questions:

- I have a pretty basic wireless network coming from a separate router. Both my Time Capsule and my MacBook join the network wirelessly. There is no Ethernet network, I bought an Ethernet cable simply to connect the Time Capsule to the laptop.

- The Time Capsule does appear in Finder > Network, but only when wifi is on. When I turn wifi off and connect the Ethernet cable, it doesn't show up.

- I do not believe that the Time Capsule is set-up to "extend a wireless network".

Can I just clarify something? You wrote "The Time Capsule can be used over Ethernet. I do it daily since my Mac Book Pro is only a few feet from the Time Capsule."

Do you mean you are able to connect the MacBook and Time Capsule without any internet connection at all (wifi or Ethernet), just like an external hard drive? This is what I'm keen to do.

Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My situation is similar but even with the wireless off the Time Capsule has internet because it is connected to the router via an ethernet cable. I'll try to test it with no internet a bit later today.

There may be an IP address issue here. Without an internet connection the Time capsule is going to generate a self assigned IP address in the form 169,xxx,xxx,xxx If the computer is wirelessly connecting to the other router it will have a different IP address and therefore not see the TC. I'll try and walk through the steps later today and see if I can track down a solution.

OP
O
Reaction score
I've been rooting around in the settings of Airport Utility and am pretty sure I've worked out a way of doing what I want.

Unfortunately, it seems the Time Capsule cannot be both wifi-ready and Ethernet ready at the same time. Whenever you want to switch from one to the other, it involves going back into the settings, making changes, then rebooting the Time Capsule.

Anyway, the problem is pretty much solved. Thanks for your efforts.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I've been rooting around in the settings of Airport Utility and am pretty sure I've worked out a way of doing what I want.

Unfortunately, it seems the Time Capsule cannot be both wifi-ready and Ethernet ready at the same time. Whenever you want to switch from one to the other, it involves going back into the settings, making changes, then rebooting the Time Capsule.

Anyway, the problem is pretty much solved. Thanks for your efforts.

I am not sure what you mean by this? My Time Capsule is my Wifi device - but it also is being used a a gigabit switch. I have a large itunes library on there and stream movies/music to Airplay devices (Airport Expresses and Apple TVs) I have no problem with streaming even with Wifi.

I did have a problem when I had an old cable modem. Don't have any explanation why - but it affected my Wireless. As soon as I bought a DOCIS 3.0 capable modem - my wifi started running faster. It makes no network sense and I don't have an explanation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.