I have a thick white line running down my screen

Reaction score
Firstly I would like to say hi. New member so If I have posted in the incorrect spot I am sorry.
Secondly I am a PC girl I know my way around one and how to fix most little errors.

Thirdly I have an Apple desk top. that I know NOTHING about.

So Info I do know Max OS X ver: 10.6.8
Processor 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Start up disk macintosh HD

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version (system): 1.8f2
Serial Number (system): W87161QHVUX
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F2DC27A9

So hopefully you can work out What one I have. I have NO disks with this computer (was purchased second hand)

now the problem I have is I have a line running down the screen goes over the toolbar at the top and the dock at the bottom. it is just over an inch thick. Came on in the last few days. How can I get rid of this I downloaded a few programs today CCleaner IboostUp and CleanGenius Free but alas has not done anything. (so probably weren't worth the download. I have time machine on here also, but can not restore back to any date what so ever from the day we got it to now. What do I need to do to fix this.

Thanks Leah

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
First off, it probably not a software but a hardware issue. Try taking a screenshot. (Command + Shift + 3) and see if the line shows up. If no line shows up, it's probably the LCD that is failing. If the line does show up, it's probably the logic board that is going.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.