Deleting Safari search history

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody could tell me if there is any other way to recover my safari search history even after I reset Safari. Does it store the history anywhere else or anything like that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might be lucky as Safari is very lax in removing browsing history as it stores it in several places. It would have been helpful if you told us which version of OS X you're using. Anyway, look here to see if your history is still intact:

MacIntosh HD/Users/your user account/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari/History/

OP
L
Reaction score
I went into the users and there is no library folder. I am using OS X LION. Sorry, i didn't specify that. I also think i might have asked the question wrong. I don't want to recover my history, I just want to make sure that no one else can. If you could help me out, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yep, you sure did ask the question the wrong way.... :) No problem. It was important, however, to tell us you were using Lion because the User Library folder is hidden by default in Lion.

When you clear the Safari browsing cache it clears it in one place only. The folder I directed you to in my other reply will still exist and someone could easily tell where you have been. OK. Let's clear it. But you have do this first:

You need to unhide your user library. Open Applications, Utilities, and click on the "Terminal.app". The Terminal will open. Type the following information into the dialog box and then press enter.

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Now shut down the Finder, and then restart it. Or log off and back on again. The User library will appear.

Go back to my previous post and delete everything in the folder I directed you to. That will completely clear the meta data and browsing cache.

C

chas_m

chscag: given that most users are uncomfortable or intimidated by the command line, I'd suggest making your default answer about the Lion user library the instruction on how to go to it via the Go Menu, ie select the Go menu in Finder, hold down the option key, select Library. This will get them there on demand.

Obviously if someone wants that library file unhidden PERMANENTLY, your solution is best, but Apple's reasoning for hiding it from most users is pretty sound so the Go menu is, IMHO a better option for all but the most advanced users.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I went to the library folder and there was nothing in there so I think I am ok. Is there any other way that someone might be able to find the history? Also, what is the command to hide the library folder again?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Copy and paste this into terminal to hide the library again:

chflags hidden ~/Library

I'm rather surprised you didn't find anything. Are you sure you dug down deep enough? The full path to the cache is:

MacIntosh HD/Users/your user account/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari/History/

OP
L
Reaction score
Yes. I went as far as I could. In Safari there is an option to clear cache right below the reset safari option. I think that might also clear what's in the library folder. So as long as there is nothing in that folder, then there is no way that someone else could be able to see my history?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.