New Apple Operating Systems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4S, MacPro 3.3 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon /6GB RAM OSX 10.8.2, 27" display,i AirPort Extreme
I changed over to Mac's in '07 and in that time have moved from Leopard to Snow Leopard. I have resisted the move to Lion just because I don't feel any need to make my current programs obsolete by upgrading to an operating system with which they are most likely incompatible. Has there been that many major changes to the OS to justify coming out with yet another operating system (Mountain Lion)?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I changed over to Mac's in '07 and in that time have moved from Leopard to Snow Leopard. I have resisted the move to Lion just because I don't feel any need to make my current programs obsolete by upgrading to an operating system with which they are most likely incompatible. Has there been that many major changes to the OS to justify coming out with yet another operating system (Mountain Lion)?

Not sure how to really answer that question - justification is in the eye of the beholder in these cases. If you read around - I'm sure you'll find many options that say No - but those opinions don't really matter since they're not making those decisions for Apple. So far I haven't seen anything earth shattering - and if you're perfectly comfortable on SL - by all means - stay with SL. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4S, MacPro 3.3 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon /6GB RAM OSX 10.8.2, 27" display,i AirPort Extreme
Not sure how to really answer that question - justification is in the eye of the beholder in these cases. If you read around - I'm sure you'll find many options that say No - but those opinions don't really matter since they're not making those decisions for Apple. So far I haven't seen anything earth shattering - and if you're perfectly comfortable on SL - by all means - stay with SL. :)

Call me backwards (I'm still running iWork '08) but I guess I currently see no advantage in the upgrades. Should I suddenly fall into a barrel of money I guess my next machine will come with the Mac flavor of the month OS. On the very positive side is that OS upgrades are no where near as expensive as with the always crashing MS alternatives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well backhands it is simple. If you don't want it don't outlay your hard earned on it. Some folk are very happy using (gasp) Panther and Tiger.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Call me backwards (I'm still running iWork '08) but I guess I currently see no advantage in the upgrades. Should I suddenly fall into a barrel of money I guess my next machine will come with the Mac flavor of the month OS. On the very positive side is that OS upgrades are no where near as expensive as with the always crashing MS alternatives.

I consider that a huge positive. If nothing compels you to 'update' - I don't like the term upgrade since you never know until you get it if that's true :) - then don't. The only reason I updated to Lion as for iCloud - otherwise - I was perfectly content with SL.

Reaction score
I would say, stay with Snow Leopard. there is not realy anything thats better in Lion atleast. And as far as I heard about Mountain LIon, nothing new there either.

And Lion have a tendency to run realy bad on some pre-Lion computers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.