Changing Appearance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OSX
Hi All,
I was at a jobsite, freelancing and noticed some of the folders had icons instead of the usual folder icon. I asked how to do it and someone told me to left click on the folder, choose get info and simply drag the icon I want into the dialogue box. I tried doing this when I got home and it didn't work. Could someone tell me how to do this?

Reaction score
Select icon - get info
click on icon in window - copy
select folder - get info
click on icon in get info window
paste

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 27" 2.93GHz Intel Quad Core i7 iMac 12Gb Ram OS X 10.8.5 / 10.10
Hi All,
I was at a jobsite, freelancing and noticed some of the folders had icons instead of the usual folder icon. I asked how to do it and someone told me to left click on the folder, choose get info and simply drag the icon I want into the dialogue box. I tried doing this when I got home and it didn't work. Could someone tell me how to do this?

Alternatively get the 'Telling Folders' app from the Mac App Store @ $1.99 and do it automatically.

Telling Folders.png

Reaction score
Not gonna pay 2 dollars for something I can do free...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 27" 2.93GHz Intel Quad Core i7 iMac 12Gb Ram OS X 10.8.5 / 10.10
Not gonna pay 2 dollars for something I can do free...

I completely understand that cradom, but, for someone thats not that confident with doing it the old school way telling folders just takes the hassle out of what they are trying to acheve in a simple way.

Its just a handy inexpensive little app to have for when you want to change a folders appearance on the fly ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.