FileVault tells me that my password is wrong after my external HD became unplugged

Reaction score
I have a macbook (2.0Ghz intel core 8GB 1067DDR3 ram lat 2008 model) running OS X 10.7.3. and I used FileValt 2 to encrypt a 500 Gb My passport western digital hard drive. The hard drive has been working great but the last time I used it the hard drive cable became unplugged (meaning I didn't eject it properly) now when i reconnect the hard drive to my computer it asked me for my password like it normally does but when i enter my password it says it's incorrect. I know 1000% thats it's the right password! to confirm it i click the Show hint button to make sure. I've been using this HD daily for 3 months i know its right i have 2 HD's with the same password and the other one works fine. Is there anything to can do to repair/defrag or restore permissions? when i try to use disk utility it fix it i get the prompt to enter my password but it will not accept it! how can i repair the drive so that i will be able to enter my password and recover my data? please help!! :\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry, but there is no way to recover your data if the password became scrambled on the drive. Improperly ejecting the drive likely caused corruption which in turn corrupted the password key on the drive. One of the dangers of using Filevault.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Eh, I have a different view of several things than thexlab does (particularly in regards to encryption and RAID, on which I believe they're off-base.. oh and ALL data needs to be backed up. Period. Even 5 9's enterprise level solutions are still only fault tolerant, not fault proof and those environments also have solid DR solutions in place). Full disk encryption is something I've lived with for several years now, and to be honest, it's been very stable. I would also point out that I believe we'll be moving to hardware based disk encryption as the 'norm', even on consumer devices, within the next few years. Quite simply put, the threat of data-theft is real. Even the EFF recommends FDE.

What you've seen, however, is the downside to any type of disk encryption, especially in external drives (which are much more prone to this sort of issue, by nature).

OP
Y
Reaction score
there has to be another way to fix this.. i know formatting it and starting from scratch is the easy way. but i know there has to be a way to crack this password even if i have to leave my system on for 2 weeks to crack it..

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
The problem isn't cracking the password . . . you have the password. You accidently damaged the encrypted file itself, which makes unencrypting now a virtual impossibility.
The NSA could probably handle it, so if you have contacts with them, go for it, otherwise your data is toast.
Backups are essential, as you well know, and even more so when using encrypted images.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Let us know how it turns out. Curious to see what they can do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
hah! good luck getting the drive back.. ;)

well, should it enter the bldg.

C

chas_m

Bottom line: unless you WORK for the NSA, Filevault is a REALLY BAD IDEA because if the vault gets damaged, you are DONE.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.