os 9 compatibility

Reaction score
2 questions.

1st - I have an older mac that is running os 9. It's just been sitting around, but my son wants to use it so that we DON'T have to buy him a new one. It would be used mostly for school papers/spread sheets/ppt etc. Is iwork '09 compatible with this G4 mac with os 9?

2nd. If iwork 09 isn't compatible, then is there a version of office for mac that is compatible with os 9?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To answer your first question, No, iWork is relativity new and only supports OSX and in fact only newer versions of OSX depending on which iWork we are talking about. None will run on OS9.

For your 2nd question, there was a version of Office of course that ran on OS9 and older. I own it I believe. You might want to check Ebay. Will try and get you the version number.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Office 98 for Mac and Office 2000 for Mac will run under OS 9, from memory. Do not purchase Office v.X which is for OS X only.

Depending on the model, if it is G3 you may be able to update to Tiger OS X.4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.