New iPad (iPad 3) Cases and skins

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
I picked up a Targus case at Best Buy for my new iPad. The case actually works like a Smart cover, so I don't have to carry it around with me in addition to the case.

Targus Vuscape Case - BestBuy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 iMac, iPad Mini, MBP, Air
I had them put on a Zagg front screen protector at Best Buy and bought a grey, translucent back by Belkin. I also have a pink smart cover, I bought with the iPad from Apple. All of that fits into a little netbook case I bought years ago from Swiss Army. Should work for trips and other things.

Reaction score
I got the Brenthaven sleeve. It's super padded so I wouldn't worry about it at all when transporting it from and to work, travelling, ... I'd definitely recommend it:

ProStyle

On top of that I got the Apple smart cover so that I can use it as a stand too. The sleeve fits the iPad with the Smart Cover on it.

C

chas_m

I picked up the Marware EcoVue, a nice "eco-leather" (made with fewer toxins) as seen here:

EcoVue Case for The new iPad

This is very nice with a lot of nice touches, but I'm returning it because the magnet doesn't work.

And now we know why.

Otherwise, I'd say it's a great case for the iPad and would have recommended it. I was originally looking at cases with a BT keyboard built-in, but thanks to Siri Dictation I no longer feel that pressing a need for one!

Reaction score
I never thought I'd be asking about iPad cases as I've never had an iPad but I picked one of the new ones up a few days ago! I won't be travelling much with it so I'm not really looking for a proper travel case but I'd kind of like some kind of 'sleeve' or something for it for when I'm not using it at home. I don't fancy just leaving it around completely 'naked'. Can anyone recommend a basic type of sleeve/case that I could store it in? The ProStyle mentioned above seems pretty good but maybe a bit overkill for me. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I ordered a basic felt case from this girl who hand makes them in Minnesota. They don't run cheap...about $53, but it's a nice looking case and nothing to fancy. Byrdandbelle.com is the website.

Reaction score
I just applied my BestSkinsEver front screen protector to my iPad. When it fully cures in a couple days, I'll give you my full opinion, but right now it's still drying.

There are some small air bubbles underneath the protector, but those are supposed to clear up as it cures.

The main gripe I have right now (and this may go away as well) is that the screen protector does something funny to the image on the screen. If you can imagine, it takes the tiny, tiny red, blue, and green pixels and makes them more noticeable. This maybe something that clears up once the moisture dries between the two layers, but I'll let you know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I picked up the Marware EcoVue, a nice "eco-leather" (made with fewer toxins) as seen here:

EcoVue Case for The new iPad

This is very nice with a lot of nice touches, but I'm returning it because the magnet doesn't work.

And now we know why.

Otherwise, I'd say it's a great case for the iPad and would have recommended it. I was originally looking at cases with a BT keyboard built-in, but thanks to Siri Dictation I no longer feel that pressing a need for one!

Saved me a lot of hassle that link, thanks chas_m :)
I've seen a few people moaning about the iPad2 Smart Cover being a bit hit and miss with the new iPad but I couldn't find anything other unsupported gripes.

Just for some further info the 'new' smart Covers that were released November 2011 and work with the new iPad/iPad 3 have model numbers that begin MD30 (the rest changes by colour). I believe the 'old' covers started MC93.
Hope that helps people ID the correct one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I am now the proud owner of a new iPad (32gb black, 4g - well 3g here in the UK). A very very kind gift from a friend.

My gen 1 iPad has lived most of it's life in a Griffin Folio case. My iPhone 4 and 4s most of the time in bumper cases. But, on a whim the other week I removed the bumper to try and use the phone 'naked' - it's like having a new phone all over again. So I tried the same with my iPad. Fantastic experience not being encumbered by the case.

Without a case on either device, in my opinion, is the best experience. But when transporting them around a little protection gives piece of mind. So for the iPhone and the new iPad I've gone for a slip case (and a smart cover, as above, to use mainly as a stand).

This is the one I went for:
Exspect iPad Leather Slip Case - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

So far I'm a very happy plow

OP
IvanLasston
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I'm with you MrPlow. It is why I like the skins - some protection from scratching/bumping - but minimal size increase. I've tried several bumper type cases for the iPhone - but it ends up feeling huge compared to just skins.

I picked up the Jot Adonit - but I was worried about scratching.
Amazon.com: Adonit Jot Pro Stylus for iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, and Other Touch Screens (ADJPG): Electronics

I picked up a 6 pack of screen protectors.
Amazon.com: myGear Products CLEAR LifeGuard Screen Protectors for iPad 2 & The new iPad 3 3rd Generation (3 Pack): Electronics
I put the Antiglare on But I don't care for it. It does reduce glare, and works pretty well in direct sunlight. All other glare is pretty reduced. I'm going to stick with it for a while - before I try out the diamond and -anti-fingerprint.

The Jot works great with Penultimate, and Notetaker HD. Didn't work so well with Notes Plus. UPad is currently broken with the New iPad (iPad 3).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB
I’m waiting for a revised Speck or Incipio case. Great products, large range of options from ultra light coverage to heavy duty (especially Incipio). I believe some of the 3rd Gen products are starting to trickle out, since it’s so new, the details are a little sketchy.

We’ve got an Incipio NGP on the 1st Gen iPad, and it’s pretty awesome. Scratch and some shock resistance, wraps around just a touch on the front so laying it won’t contact the glass (on a flat surface).

C

chas_m

I don't think I could advise a hard plastic shell for the back of the new iPad. Might interfere with the heat dispersal Apple designed for it, and I wouldn't want to take that risk.

That said, I'm doing nothing with the iPad that really taxes it to its limits or for long periods of time.

Reaction score
Case that works with screen protector.

Hi,

I have an new iPad and a cheap screen protector and back case.

I have a Zagg invisible shield HD in the post and my current back case is starting to fray my current cheap protector.

I'm looking for a case that will not start to fray my $40 invisible shield.

Des any once have any recommendations?

Thank you

:)

OP
IvanLasston
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I've found that the invisible shield isn't all that hearty. I like it as a screen protector but I've had peeling issues with the back cover no matter what I do. Plenty of cases fit over the shield but it still seems to fray/peel at the edges.

That is why I went with the Zagg leatherskin instead. The leather seems not to peel/fray even at the edges. I was able to put several cases on top of the leather skins - the last one I tried was a Built hard case. Fit over the leather fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.