Linux for old mac + persistence on new mac

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an old PPC G4 mac with 500 MHz and 1 GB or 1.5 GB RAM, and I'd like to know the best linux OS I can get. I hear puppy's good, but mintPPC is much more appealing. Which is better?

I also have a macbook (2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, intel core 2 duo), but all the space is taken up from windows and mac (I have bootcamp). I have burnt the Ubuntu 11.10 Live CD, but since it's a CD I can't save files. I'd like to know if I can put persistence in the root of my Mac or Windows Partition without screwing up any of my preexisting files. I do have a USB flash drive, however I'd like to use that for random files other than linux. If I HAVE to go USB, instead of persistence is there a way I could possibly just install the whole OS onto it, without having the horrible boot time of booting from the CD, and being able to save files and changes permanently? I know I can install the installer onto a USB, but I tried that and failed. I don't need the installer, all I need is to boot from the CD to install to the USB. Would this be possible?

thanks!!!!!

-scriptinggeek12

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.