new MacBook Pro, Old iTunes. NAS storage question

Reaction score
Currently I have 2 PCs w/ Windows 7 that both run iTunes on my home network. I store and stream all of my songs on my NAS drive (Synology Diskstation 2111+) while allowing iTunes to keep it organized. I'm happy to report that I purchased my first macbook.

I set my Library folder in iTunes on the mac to the Music folder on my NAS, and after a lengthy process everything appears to be indexed and organized and I plan on using the iTunes interface on the mac as my primary iTunes source.

Unfortunately, each and every time I log into iTunes, I am disconnected from my Diskstation and I have to re-enter my username and log in to play songs. And typically it takes a few moments to "Update iTunes Library" once I do this. It even seems to want to bounce the default library location to the mac local folder/disk.

How do I stay connected to my NAS Diskstation and utilize it as my storage for itunes content? (On the PC side it was simple; trying to sync my Mac to do so is proving more troublesome...keep in mind though, I'm new to man)

Any suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.