MacBook Pro (2007, 17" model) Problems

Reaction score
I purchased an old MacBook Pro 2007 17" the night before last. On the train back, I gave it a quick check (power on, to see if the chime sounded) - the HDD is new (250Gb) and wiped, so I expected nothing there. The chime sounded, so I knew that things should be okay.

When I got home, I removed all the screws and took the keyboard/lid off just to check things, reattached the bus cable, since it'd come lose. Since then the MBP hasn't powered on at all.

Interestingly, the battery indicator is permanently lit up - and when the power cable is plugged in, it goes orange for about 20 minutes then turns green.

So I'm a tad confused - if the logic board has gone, I can understand that... If the power has gone, surely the charger cable wouldn't be able to detect whether the battery needs charging or not?

I'm not 100% certain what the problem is, though I'm starting to suspect the logic board (which is awful, considering it *was* working when I purchased it! Only after I opened it up did it stop working).

Assuming it is indeed the logic board, is there anywhere I can get a replacement fairly cheaply? I don't mind if it's second-user - so long as it works!

Any ideas what else could be the problem?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I purchased an old MacBook Pro 2007 17" the night before last. On the train back, I gave it a quick check (power on, to see if the chime sounded) - the HDD is new (250Gb) and wiped, so I expected nothing there. The chime sounded, so I knew that things should be okay.

Sounds ok so far.

When I got home, I removed all the screws and took the keyboard/lid off just to check things, reattached the bus cable, since it'd come lose. Since then the MBP hasn't powered on at all.

When did this cable come loose:

- When you were on the train?
- Sometime after you powered up the computer on the train...but before you got home?
- When you got home...and took it apart?

How much of a "computer expert" would you say you are? How much experience do you have taking computers apart?

I only ask since logically...if the computer seemed to be working fine when you were on the train (except for no OS on the hard drive)...then you took it apart...then put it back together...then it didn't work. It would seem that during the disassembly/assembly process something happened!:(

Assuming it is indeed the logic board, is there anywhere I can get a replacement fairly cheaply? I don't mind if it's second-user - so long as it works!

There are places to get a used logic board...but they won't be cheap!

- ifixit.com
- powerbookmedic.com
- e-Bay

- Nick

OP
Q
Reaction score
I took it apart once I was at home - wouldn't consider it on a train. That's when the cable detached. Experience-wise, I'd been a system builder from age fifteen until about five years ago (about 11 years total).

Agreed that is when the problem must have happened - I'm just rather baffled at what, considering the only thing I actually touched was the data cable. The electrical tape was practically useless, had no taciness at all (I've actually just replaced it with black electrical tape). Even with the replacement tape and the cable secured down, it's still not working.

I'm rather baffled at the battery too, I took the battery out on the train, pressed the battery check button, since then the indicator has stayed lit (and full strength).

I'll give those links a check - though I dearly hope it's not a logic board fault - considering it just stopped working after a disassembly.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll give those links a check - though I dearly hope it's not a logic board fault - considering it just stopped working after a disassembly.

Boiling things down to the "simplest common denominator".

If the computer seemed to work fine on the train...and not working fine after the disassembly/assembly...then something happened during the disassembly/assembly process.

Sounds to me, that if all the computer needed was an OS install...there was no reason to take the computer apart.;)

As you probably know (with 11 years of experience)...most computers (especially laptops)...contain a lot of delicate parts & cables. I always consult a website like ifixit.com for detailed disassembly/assembly instructions & photos (even if it's a computer model that I have worked on before)...just in case I forget a detail...or a specific disassembly warning.

Of course if some other problem did already exist (even before turning it on while on the train)...then we would have to reexamine what's going on...including what the seller said about the computer BEFORE you bought it...and what sort of testing you did with the computer...BEFORE you paid the seller for it.

- Nick

OP
Q
Reaction score
It seems to be a bit of a weird tradition (more like compulsion, I'd say) to peruse the innards of a machine upon purchase and arrival home - I'd done the same with a MBP 15" (pre-Unibody) about a year or two ago, without issue... So I've clearly forgotten something!

I guess the only real courses now are to check everything again to be safe - and if I can see nothing conclusive, take it to an Apple Store and see if they can find out the issue (though I sure as **** am not going to let them repair it - I have no care to have them charge me an extortionate amount for a repair I can carry out myself! :p).

I'll be sure to update if I resolve the issue and how! Cheers for the help thus far :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It seems to be a bit of a weird tradition (more like compulsion, I'd say) to peruse the innards of a machine upon purchase and arrival home - I'd done the same with a MBP 15" (pre-Unibody) about a year or two ago, without issue... So I've clearly forgotten something!

Believe me...I completely understand what you're saying! Very often I do the same thing:)...especially with a used computer...and ESPECIALLY with a laptop computer. I usually like to take it apart to clean it...just in case there's some sort of dirt or fuzz buildup that may reduce cooling. Then of course inspect for anything else that looks "out of place" while in there.

...take it to an Apple Store and see if they can find out the issue...

Yes...but they may charge you for the inspection & initial troubleshooting...especially if there is no Applecare remaining. Which I'm assuming there isn't on a 2007 computer.

Good luck...I know that it's a "bummer" thing to find out shortly after getting the computer!

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, also:

As far as I'm aware, he sold the MBP because he kept getting this error: http://www.maclife.com/files/u220903/mac_os_x_kernel_panic_620px.jpg

He replaced the HDD with the 250Gb drive. Didn't know how to resolve the problem, as such he sold it.

That's as much as I know

That's called a "kernel panic". Many many times it is caused by incorrect ram being used...and if not ram...it's something else hardware related.

Since this is a used computer...with basically an unknown history to you...the kernel panic could be almost anything. But the ram is a good place to start.

If not the ram...it could be something more serious...and it could be the reason the seller was selling it. Hopefully you got it for a VERY good price! if it's only the ram..AWESOME!:) If something else..well.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.