Syncing with itunes on multiple computers

Reaction score
Hi,

I'd be appreciative of any assistance that I can get with this issue - I have an old pc laptop and an iphone 4. I am currently using IOS4.1 on the iphone. The laptop is the place where I have synced and backed up in the past (when I first bought the phone a year or so ago). I was trying to backup/sync the phone there but found out that the laptop doesn't have enough hard disk space to perform this task (despite trying to delete as much as I could). For this reason I have backed up to my parent's desktop PC with far more hard disk space. This has worked but when I tried to update to IOS 5.1, it warned me that I would lose everything as it is not the laptop that I normally sync with.

How can I make it so that I can update and sync on this desktop PC whilst keeping everything on my phone? Is it possible to change the 'home' PC/laptop itunes?

I hope that this is clear!

Cheers

Nick

C

chas_m

You can't. The device can only be synced to ONE computer, and trying to sync to another one will wipe it.

A few options:

1. Buy a bigger hard drive for your laptop already! :)

2. If you are certain -- absolutely certain -- that you have a safe backup on the other computer, go ahead and wipe the iPhone, upgrade to 5.1, and then restore from that backup. Your folks' computer will now be the sync point for that phone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.