21" iMac too high

Reaction score
Hi. I just bought my first Mac. My 21" IMac sits too high and gives me neck strain. I guess I'm too short. How can I modify the base and lower it? I can't raise the chair anymore.
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your post was moved here to the appropriate forum as it does not belong in our "Lounge" area.

Reference your question: There are methods for lowering or raising an iMac but each requires disassembling the stand and base attachment. Use your search function on Google and you should find something that might help. However, it might be best to find a lower platform to place your iMac on rather than have to take it apart and maybe voiding your warranty.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi. I just bought my first Mac. My 21" IMac sits too high and gives me neck strain. I guess I'm too short. How can I modify the base and lower it? I can't raise the chair anymore.
Thanks

A few suggestions could be:

1. Sit on a thick phonebook or place some sort of cushion on the seat of the chair.
2. Try to find a lower table/desk.
3. Buy one of these...or something similar (not cheap, but a solution):

Bretford MobilePro Desk Mount - Apple Store (U.S.)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
A few suggestions could be:

1. Sit on a thick phonebook or place some sort of cushion on the seat of the chair.
2. Try to find a lower table/desk.
3. Buy one of these...or something similar (not cheap, but a solution):

Bretford MobilePro Desk Mount - Apple Store (U.S.)

- Nick

After reading those reviews, it sounds like a fairly decent product, but you aren't able to adjust the screen on the fly, it takes quite a few bolts and you have to drill through the top of your desk.

This might be one little niche my iMac G4 still has to it. Awesome screen adjustment. ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
After reading those reviews, it sounds like a fairly decent product, but you aren't able to adjust the screen on the fly, it takes quite a few bolts and you have to drill through the top of your desk.

Hey...nothing is perfect!;)

Yeah...not being able to adjust the screen height on the fly...is a bit of an inconvenience. But maybe once you get it set to the most comfortable height for viewing...it won't need to be readjusted often.

And yeah...drilling holes in a tabletop to mount it is an irreversible process. But maybe it makes it much more stable & secure...especially when mounting a BIG 27" iMac on it.:)

There certainly may be better options out there. I only searched the Apple Store.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.