Did you get your new iPad yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod
chas, thank you for the Skype information. Yes it works great and also the back camera works if you want to show your inviroment around you.. I am super happy now.

Reaction score
I sold my Ipad2 to get the 3, screen is the biggest improvement I notice. This is enough of an upgrade for me as I read a lot an surf/email on it.The other changes I don't see or notice, so called heat is also a non issue.

Reaction score
I stood in line at my local London drugs (I'm in Canada) for about an hour. I was the sixth in line out of eight so I didn't really have to wait in line at all. Anyways I got the 32gb wifi in white. I absolutely love the retina display. Mine didn't have any problems, so I was very pleased. You definitely notice the weight difference, but for not the thickness. I am very pleased with this new iPad, the display, camera and new processor make this the best tablet out there! I do have one question and that is regarding AppleCare plus. Is it a good idea to get it? I had an iPad 2 for 7 months and it doesn't even have a scratch. I am still aware that accidents happen so I am really thinking about it. What do you guys think? Did you buy it?

C

chas_m

After a full week with the iPad, I can tell you that if this screen was a woman I'd marry it. I love the Siri Dictation as well, use it all the time. (I'm on my Mac at the moment, but have used it to dictate forum messages!).

I also like the improved zippiness, and for me coming from the original iPad this thing is lighter and thinner, so that's another plus.

I can see myself doing a LOT more reading and video watching on this now than I did before. Being able to dictate texts, messages and email has huge potential for me.

Heat has been a total non-issue, but then I don't play Skyrim or whatever the hot new flavour of the week is for hours on end either.

The one and only "ding" I have with the new iPad is that it takes longer to charge than the old one, and that it shows "100%" battery for too long before it starts to drop. Bad algorithm, and I'm sure Apple are aware of it so I expect a fix will come down the pike soon enough.

This thing is near-perfect IMHO, and given that I got $250 "back" on my original iPad towards buying it, I'd also call it my best tech purchase of the year by far. I got the 32GB Wi-Fi black, I just didn't want to spend the money on the LTE model since I would use that ability VERY little (I am almost constantly in Wi-Fi).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 500gb
I bought 2 of them; one for me and one for my girlfriend. Mine never gets warm no matter how long I use it but hers does when performing the same tasks.

They do not both operate at the same temp. That doesn’t seem right. “An Apple spokeswoman said the iPad was ‘within our thermal specifications.’” (Reuters, 2012). That’s fine but what about the inconsistency between different 3rd generation iPads? Has anyone else experienced this?

Consumer Reports: New iPad runs hotter than old model - Technology & science - Tech and gadgets - msnbc.com

Reaction score
Yes, and I'm exchanging it for iPad2!

I'm returning my new iPad3, and exchanging it for an iPad 2. After using it just a couple of days I noticed the battery didn't keep its charge as well as the iPad2. Not wanting to believe it, I charged both to 100% battery strength, and then played about 2 1/2 hours of the exact same video podcasts on both. After that time, the iPad3 WAS hotter in one corner, as has been reported. Battery power after that was:
iPad3: 47%
iPad2: 61%

The screen display was only slightly better quality, I compared same pictures and videos. Definitely NOT worth it. If you haven't bought one yet, go for the iPad2!

:\

C

chas_m

Arielluria:

Don't exchange that iPad 3 just yet. As I referred to in my post, the charger shows 100% prematurely due to a software bug.

Let the iPad charge at LEAST an hour beyond the point where it hits 100% and I think you'll see the battery life you were expecting. The new takes longer to charge because it has 70 percent more capacity (which it needs to do 4x as much work as it was doing with the iPad 2).

Reaction score
Arielluria:

Don't exchange that iPad 3 just yet. As I referred to in my post, the charger shows 100% prematurely due to a software bug.

Let the iPad charge at LEAST an hour beyond the point where it hits 100% and I think you'll see the battery life you were expecting. The new takes longer to charge because it has 70 percent more capacity (which it needs to do 4x as much work as it was doing with the iPad 2).

Thanks. I did exchange it, but since Apple is conveniently only now making the 16G, I replaced it with another iPad3. I charge many hours (overnight) beyond the 100% mark as you said, and then I did another simultaneous side-by-side comparison on the iPad2 & 3. Playing the same video podcasts in sync. The battery on the 3 ran down much quicker and of course took a LOT longer to recharge.

Very, VERY unhappy with this!

C

chas_m

I think you either have a defective battery or something else is going on. I notice my new iPad goes down a LITTLE BIT quicker than than my original iPad did, but as I've mentioned before it IS driving four times as many pixels at up to 2.3 times the luminosity there ...

But on the "something else going on" possibility, this makes me think of something: the new iPad uses dramatically less battery at half-brightness than it does at full brightness. You may want to reset your brightness settings to halfway and turn on "auto brightness" once you set it there. That could make a significant difference.

Also: is this a 4G iPad or just Wi-Fi? Again, 4G (even if you're not using it, it just has to be turned on) uses more battery power than 3G or just Wi-Fi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 iMac 27 i7 2.8 GHz 12 GB of Ram - iPhone 4 16GB - iPhone 4S 16 GB - iPad 3 32GB WiFi
We got our iPad 3rd Gen 32 GB WiFi on the 16th of March. Love everything about it. This is our first iPad and it works like a charm. I usually use my iMac 27 i7 but this iPad lets me enjoy surfing the net in other areas of the house and even on the patio outside. As for the battery life, we have no issues. No 4G and it charges fine over night.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.2QC, 27" (Oct 2012), iPad (3rd)、iPhone 6 Plus
I got mine on 3/22 at the local AT&T store. No line, no waiting...:Cool: It was around 12:30PM during my lunch break.

4G 16GB, there were 2 left, black and white, and I got white.

Reaction score
TO The Apple Team

Hi Got the new Ipad 4 weeks ago, although the assistant brought out the ipad2 first. As an older member of the Apple brigade I was suprised when a family member told me I didnt have the latest ipad. I waited until they went and in total panick and embaresment checked what version I had. No not written on box, No not in settings, No not on receipt. lets Google it, no luck . lets put ser no. in to google, no luck

Only when I contacted technical support was it confirmed I had ipad3. Apple is is so hard to put IPAD 3 on your products I know it takes a lot to put a sticky label on the box at least. Or put it in settings with serial number. (Another hour of my life wasted)

Why is it on my Appletv sports results are for America I dont live there (or did somebody palm me off with a U.S box? Also why when I ask Siri on my iphone destinations the reply is, can only give U.S businesses or destinations, are our sales so small that Apple can not afford to tailor make their products for the UK market.

Also updated my computer to Lion I hope this will be an advantage in the future because things in mydrop box can not be read all my windows programes won't work and so far cant see any advantage. Hopefully the next update will give me Siri and touch screen then I will be happy although Siri needs to go back to school, he has a lot to learn to gain perfection.

Also I know in the old days we got one inch heigh user books and loads of disks Now we get nothing, except advice for dummies.
Eg. Do not drop,disasemble,open,crush,puncture, shred,microwave, incinerate, paint, or insert foreign objects. Choking hazard (couldnt get my ipad it into my mouth at all)
Didnt say you cant take swimming with you.

I would also have thought that it could give me the time without me having to add "what is the time in London."

Well apart from that I love my Apple i (s)
Happy Computing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Only when I contacted technical support was it confirmed I had ipad3. Apple is is so hard to put IPAD 3 on your products I know it takes a lot to put a sticky label on the box at least.

See...here's the problem...there is NO iPad 3! The latest version of the iPad is called the "New iPad".

You also might consider (or blame) the family member who suggested you didn't have the latest iPad (and started the whole "fire drill")...since it sounds like after contacting Apple Tech. Support...you had the latest iPad all along.:)

Don't get upset with Apple...get upset with that family member!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Nik

The new ipad poor thing didn't get a proper name Thanks for replying Nik take care. Got a lot off my chest, but nobody dares run Apple down in front me, just want them to stay ahead.
Keith

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I am going to keep referring to "The New iPad" with ( iPad3 ) close by - to help with search engines.

C

chas_m

Apple is is so hard to put IPAD 3 on your products I know it takes a lot to put a sticky label on the box at least.

Apple would NEVER sully a product package by putting a sticker on it.

As for being able to tell if its a third-generation iPad: the easiest way to tell is to turn it on. The screen is an obvious, immediate giveaway. But just for the record, the box has ©2012 in tiny print on the back bottom, and a third-gen box will also mention "Bluetooth 4.0."

Why is it on my Appletv sports results are for America I dont live there

Change your region in the settings.

Also why when I ask Siri on my iphone destinations the reply is, can only give U.S businesses or destinations

Because Siri is in beta and hasn't added support for some countries yet. Yours is one of them, but it will come soon enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
I picked mine up March 16. Didn't have no problems at all really enjoy the device. Retina display is awesome!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.