Can I allocate more memory to a specific application

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook; Model 4,1; Intel Core 2 Duo; 2.1 GHZ; 4GB Memory; 120GB Hard drive; 800 MHz bus speed
Using Mac OSX 10.6.6, can I allocate more memory to a specific application? In older OS versions you could, but I don't see how to do that in Snow Leopard.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I'm pretty sure the 'nice' command still works in the terminal, no? I know that's more a CPU priority thing, but priority threads get more real memory than lower priority ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OSX does a very good job of memory management, so apps should just get all the spare RAM they need.

In the old oS9 you had to juggle the memory around by hand, but its best to let the OS do it. I know photoshop can have a percentage of available memory so have a look at the prefs for your application

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook; Model 4,1; Intel Core 2 Duo; 2.1 GHZ; 4GB Memory; 120GB Hard drive; 800 MHz bus speed
I'm pretty sure the 'nice' command still works in the terminal, no? I know that's more a CPU priority thing, but priority threads get more real memory than lower priority ones.

Thanks but I am not familiar with the "nice" command? Can you give me more info on that please?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX does a very good job of memory management, so apps should just get all the spare RAM they need.

In the old oS9 you had to juggle the memory around by hand, but its best to let the OS do it. I know photoshop can have a percentage of available memory so have a look at the prefs for your application

Interesting. I wondered if that might be the case.

Now makes me wonder my application is causing CPU hickups.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks but I am not familiar with the "nice" command? Can you give me more info on that please?

Have you used "Terminal" before? If not...I would recommend "doing your homework" before diving in. Since you can REALLY mess up your computer if you do something wrong in Terminal.

If allocating ram is the biggest issue...maybe you simply need a ram upgrade (assuming your computer's ram can be upgraded from where it is currently).

- Nick

p.s. If we're talking about the MacBook in your profile...it looks like it may already be maxed out in terms of ram. I would still advise being VERY careful using Terminal if you haven't used it before.:)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you used "Terminal" before? If not...I would recommend "doing your homework" before diving in. Since you can REALLY mess up your computer if you do something wrong in Terminal.

If allocating ram is the biggest issue...maybe you simply need a ram upgrade (assuming your computer's ram can be upgraded from where it is currently).

- Nick

p.s. If we're talking about the MacBook in your profile...it looks like it may already be maxed out in terms of ram. I would still advise being VERY careful using Terminal if you haven't used it before.:)

Yeah, I think that's a bit more complicated than I can try at this point. I'll see what else I can do perhaps from within the application itself. It's Studio One Recording digital audio workstation software.

Thanks for your help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I think that's a bit more complicated than I can try at this point. I'll see what else I can do perhaps from within the application itself. It's Studio One Recording digital audio workstation software.

Thanks for your help.

Are we talking about the MacBook listed in your profile? If so...maybe you could be a bit more specific what EXACT MacBook you have.

Technically...there was/is no MacBook with a Core Duo 2.1ghz cpu. And there were a few models that could possibly fit a "2.1ghz" description (especially if some number rounded was done).

Depending exactly what model MacBook you have, there's a possibility that the ram could be upgraded further. Also realize that a 2.1ghz MacBook isn't the speediest computer around...and even if the ram can be upgraded...it may not solve any potential performance issues.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are we talking about the MacBook listed in your profile? If so...maybe you could be a bit more specific what EXACT MacBook you have.

Technically...there was/is no MacBook with a Core Duo 2.1ghz cpu. And there were a few models that could possibly fit a "2.1ghz" description (especially if some number rounded was done).

Depending exactly what model MacBook you have, there's a possibility that the ram could be upgraded further. Also realize that a 2.1ghz MacBook isn't the speediest computer around...and even if the ram can be upgraded...it may not solve any potential performance issues.

- Nick

I believe my upgrade from 2 to 4 gig was the best available.

The DAW manufacturer (presonus) says that the 2.1 ghz core duo CPU is sufficient. They pride their DAW on its newer programming standards that require less memory, as I understand it. I'll see what issues others are having with similar setups on the Presonus forum.Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe my upgrade from 2 to 4 gig was the best available.

You still didn't say exactly what MacBook model you have...since the info in your profile is not really accurate.;)

Just trying to help...just in case there may be further possibilities of upgrading the ram. Sometimes the ram on certain Mac models can be upgraded further than what Apple "officially" recommends.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's the model specs on my Mac from the Finder window for that:

Model name: Macbook
Model identifier: Macbook 4,1
Processor name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor speed: 2.1 GHz
Number of processors: 1
Total number of cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3MB
Memory: 4GB (I upgraded to the 4GB back in the fall at an authorized Mac dealer using Mac spec replacement memory sticks)
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot Rom Version MB41.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system) 1.31f1

I did go into my Mac last night and turn off the Airport during recording work and it conserved the CPU usage about 15% (From 75% to 60%).

Would zapping the PRAM and NRAM (?) help get more CPU per gallon as well?

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did go into my Mac last night and turn off the Airport during recording work and it conserved the CPU usage about 15% (From 75% to 60%).

Would zapping the PRAM and NRAM (?) help get more CPU per gallon as well?

Thanks for your help.

Not really.

DAW applications are notoriously sensitive to anything else running, although Macs and OS X are far better at handling this than Windows in my humble opinion. I'm not sure exactly what issue you think you're having, but depending on what you're doing in your DAW, 60% CPU usage might not be unusual. I use Logic Pro and regularly hit that with a far more powerful CPU.

If you're doing any serious recording, you should close all other programs, including WiFi connections. If you open your activity monitor (just type that in spotlight and hit enter to launch) you can see if there is anything chomping CPU aside from your DAW.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's the model specs on my Mac from the Finder window for that:

Model name: Macbook
Model identifier: Macbook 4,1
Processor name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor speed: 2.1 GHz

As I mentioned earlier...there was a chance that your MacBook could be upgraded beyond the "official" 4gig of ram.

You'll be pleased to know that although Apples "official" max ram for this model is 4gig of ram...it can actually be upgraded to 6gig!:)

Here's a link to the 6 gig upgrade:

OWC 5300DDR2S6GP 6.0GB Kit (2.0GB+4.0GB) PC2-5300... in stock at OWC

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not really.

DAW applications are notoriously sensitive to anything else running, although Macs and OS X are far better at handling this than Windows in my humble opinion. I'm not sure exactly what issue you think you're having, but depending on what you're doing in your DAW, 60% CPU usage might not be unusual. I use Logic Pro and regularly hit that with a far more powerful CPU.

If you're doing any serious recording, you should close all other programs, including WiFi connections. If you open your activity monitor (just type that in spotlight and hit enter to launch) you can see if there is anything chomping CPU aside from your DAW.

Yeah, what I've found interesting though is at 75% CPU, the DAW will start to hiccup / lose audio signal.

I will try the activity monitor. Thanks.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, what I've found interesting though is at 75% CPU, the DAW will start to hiccup / lose audio signal.

I will try the activity monitor. Thanks.

That's probably because the threads are not evenly distributed amongst the two cores... so one core is at 50% and the other 100%. I know that doesn't help you, but it might be that you need to reduce the number of effects or do more freezing and mixdowns, rather than trying to have everything running at once.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's probably because the threads are not evenly distributed amongst the two cores... so one core is at 50% and the other 100%. I know that doesn't help you, but it might be that you need to reduce the number of effects or do more freezing and mixdowns, rather than trying to have everything running at once.

Ah, that would make sense then. I had double (copied) several tracks and in doing so, was copying over the effects, yet total file size was still just about 2.5 gig. But it was when I did that that I started to experience CPU issues. I went ahead last night and deleted the doubled tracks and that helped resolve the problem (along with turning off Airport).

But eventually I will need to double those tracks for more professional sounding results-but what I could do then is to "Send" the effects, and create a bus for related doubled tracks. Because I was using them as "Inserts" before. And while I don't understand the "threads distribution" concept, perhaps the "Send" effects and busses will reprioritize the efforts of the CPU in a more efficient way than the "Inserts" did.

Perhaps this would be something I should post to the Presonus forum as well, regarding CPU usage of "Sends" and "Busses" vs. "Inserts"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, that would make sense then. I had double (copied) several tracks and in doing so, was copying over the effects, yet total file size was still just about 2.5 gig. But it was when I did that that I started to experience CPU issues. I went ahead last night and deleted the doubled tracks and that helped resolve the problem (along with turning off Airport).

But eventually I will need to double those tracks for more professional sounding results-but what I could do then is to "Send" the effects, and create a bus for related doubled tracks. Because I was using them as "Inserts" before. And while I don't understand the "threads distribution" concept, perhaps the "Send" effects and busses will reprioritize the efforts of the CPU in a more efficient way than the "Inserts" did.

Perhaps this would be something I should post to the Presonus forum as well, regarding CPU usage of "Sends" and "Buses" vs. "Inserts"

There is no right or wrong way of approaching a DAW necessarily, but whatever you do, eventually you hit the limits of your hardware.

By 'threads' I really meant processes. So each effect, audio channel, bus etc creates a thread or threads that your CPU executes. More cores means more threads, although some DAWs do not distribute them evenly, meaning you can get drop outs before 100% CPU usage is reached. To be fair, even very expensive DAWs like Pro Tools and Cubase suffer from this, because it's hard to get a very even distribution all of the time.

In Logic, I tend to make extensive use of freezing and bouncing - in other words, as soon as I am comfortable with a bass and snare mix and their effects, freeze those tracks and render them down as an audio file. It doesn't matter if it's not perfect because you can always unfreeze them later and tweak the mix.

One sure way of killing your CPU is multiple effects on many buses and having it all run 'live'. It'd be nice to do that, but for as long as I remember, plugins have always managed to get more complicated has hardware became more powerful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.