Downgrade Lion to Snow Leopard on new G5

Reaction score
The company I work for is using a Kodak Prinergy worflow with three older (2004 vintage) G5's to do various printing pre-press functions. Mostly In Design and Photoshop.

The version of Prinergy we're on does not yet support Lion, but works with Snow Leopard or older.

One of the G5's is dead, and can't be revived. We need to purchase a new G5 which will be delivered with Lion.

I have a valid Snow Leopard license. I would like to know if I should anticipate major problems if I wipe Lion and install Snow Leopard?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Need some clarifications here.

First of all, G5's will not work with anything newer than Leopard (10.5.x). They will not work with Lion or Snow Leopard (10.7, 10.6 respectively).

Secondly, if you're getting a new Mac, it will likely be Intel not a G5, and yes will probably ship with Lion. Prinergy won't work, because it relies on Rosetta (the Intel to PPC emulator). However, if you really are getting a 'new' G5 from somewhere, it will have to ship with 10.5 or lower.

I am not sure if Apple will ship new machines with Snow Leopard - you might be able to get a refurb that will support running Snow Leopard, and you can probably by a SL disk from ebay and do a clean install.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, from reading the response, I'm way over my head here. I've been tasked with overseeing this purchase, and I'll be the first to say I'm really not qualified. I'm the network admin, and normally admin Win/Linux hardware.

Sounds like I need to dig a little deeper before going any further.

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just saw on another forum though that Preps 6.x is actually Lion/Intel compatible. You might want to update your version instead and go Intel. G5's are more than 7 years old now.

OP
M
Reaction score
Solved

As understand it, we have an upgrade available for Prinergy at no charge, and we would have to purchase the Preps upgrade.

For some reason, the general manager is deathly afraid to implement those upgrades, for fear of creating havoc with our workflow. And we have one machine still on Tiger (yeah really...) that would also need to be taken care of.

I'm not sure how to mark this solved, but I'll consider it done for now and when I have a better understanding, I'll come back.

Much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think having application managers that are afraid to explore change is a pretty dangerous thing... from one professional to another

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would mention as well. If things haven't changed since the days of the G5's that the OP mentioned...that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 7+ years!

Sometimes the rule of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" has a place. But after 7+ years...a lot has changed in the computer hardware, software, and internet/communications areas...that it would seem some sort of "change" may be called for!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Downgrade Lion to SNow Leopard.

Wonder if the OP is confused between a G5 and a Mac Pro? Mac Pro cases have two optical drive doors, that is the quickest way to tell them apart.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.