Garage band voice recording

Reaction score
I am recording meditaitons using a soft voice to make CDs as well as put on the web. Is it better to do a voice recording or a podcast recording on garage band? Is it the same quality regardless of which you choose? Are there better settings on garage band for recording soft voices other than setting the recording slide as high as possible?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 MBP 15" Iphone4
It doesn't matter if you use podcast or voice recording. What matters when it comes to quality is what kind of microphone, recording environment, vst plugins etc. recording environment is #1. The last thing in the world you want to do is set your faders as high as they will go trying to achieve more recording volume, all your going to achieve here is a lot of annoying back ground noise.. Thats where your presets come in to play for instance. Using multiband compressors and dynamic compressors. If you wanna tell me what kind of mic you have i would be happy to get you started with some instruction.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I was using a snowball, but it recorded a faint clicking noise.I was going to go back to using my Logitech, which didn't do that. After reading your email, I guess I shouldn't. I read that the clicking noise probably was because I wasn't far away enough from the computer and I should get a longer USB cable. What microphone do you think I should use?

C

chas_m

If you're hearing a faint clicking noise, the first thing you should try is checking to see if the metronome option is on in GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 MBP 15" Iphone4
Good Morning, Sorry its taken a couple of days for me to get back with you. I was out of town till late last night. Chase is exactly right about the metronome. The snowball is a pretty good mic to use for podcasting. If you really take the time to learn how a good DAW, Digital Audio Workstation and your microphone together can work. you will be sounding like a pro before you know it. Me personally i'm not a really big fan of GarageBand for what we call Radio and Production Imaging, We in the industry use Adobe Audition CS5.5 or Protools. At the Adobe site you can download a free trial version for 30 days to see if you like it. Now protools isn't a very user friendly software for the beginner engineer. Send me a PM with your email address and ill try and help you out with some tutorials and such so we can get you producing some great sounding podcasts.

C

chas_m

Not saying they're not better, the both of the options you suggested are very expensive tools. Unless you're doing podcastin as business, it's probably best just to use GarageBand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.