Windows installer not starting (iMac 24" 2006 white, Lion Bootcamp 4.0, Windows 7 64b

Reaction score
I am attempting to install Windows 7 64 bit OEM on my iMac 24" white (late 2006) using Bootcamp 4.0 on Lion. I create the partition using Bootcamp and then the Windows installer does not start as described in step 3. of the Boot Camp Installation and Setup Guide. I have updated the Lion software.

Thanks,
George

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you inserting your Windows 7 DVD? After creating the partition, the system will reboot but you must have your install DVD inserted otherwise the Windows 7 installation can not proceed.

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes, I have the Windows 7 64 bit install DVD inserted while creating the partition and during the following system reboot.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, just wanted to be sure you had inserted the DVD. What kind of Windows 7 OEM disk are you using? Only the MS boxed version and the System Builder's full version of Windows 7 will work. Also, since your machine is around 6 years old, what kind of condition is your optical drive in? Are you able to boot your iMac with its original disk?

OP
G
Reaction score
I have a Microsoft boxed OEM System Builder Pack that I bought at Fry's. It is a full version of Windows 7 64 bit. The Optical drive seems to be fine. I just recently upgraded to OS X Snow Leopard from a DVD using this Optical Drive.

FYI
I found another thread about running Windows 7 64 Bit on systems other than in a list provided by Apple. I ran the suggested Terminal Command with the following result:

george-halls-imac:~ georgehall$ ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi
| | "firmware-abi" = <"EFI32">

Does this mean that I can not run 64 Bit Windows 7 on my system? Do I need to upgrade the firmware? Can I change this parameter and get the system to boot the Windows 7 install disk?

My System is an iMac 24" white (late 2006), 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB mem. NVIVIA GeForce 7600 GT
Boot ROM version IM61.0093.B07
SMC Version (system) 1.10f2

Thanks for you help.

OP
G
Reaction score
Well, That is a lot of work!! I really don't care if I am using 32bit or 64 bit. I just bought the 64 bit because it seem logical at the time. I think that I recall seeing something about being able to download a 32 bit installable system and using the same license keys that came with my 64 bit install DVD. Maybe that is an easier direction to go?

Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.