Sudden problems with smtp.gmail.com in Mac Mail?

Reaction score
hello, has anyone had sudden problems with smtp.gmail.com on Mac Mail? I've been using it for months without problem. Overnight, my Mac Book Air on Lion won't send emails and can't connect to smtp.gmail.com.

I've tried all the usual fixes such as deleting and reinstalling the account, double checked password etc. The messages just stick in my outbox.

All help gratefully appreciated thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All help gratefully appreciated thank you.

Access your account on the GMail server from the web. Log in. Go to setup and preferences and change your password. Log out. Now go back to Mail and set the account up again with the new password. You will need to make sure that both send and receive have the correct password.

OP
S
Reaction score
chscag, thanks for your reply. That still doesn't work. It's as if something fundamental has changed, which is stopping macmail connect to gmail to send. If I telnet, it won't connect. I can receive mail from the gmail server but it's just refusing to connect to the smtp.gmail.com outgoing server.

Reaction score
saulhr-

Is there any chance you've changed your firewall settings?

Do you have any other e-mail addresses that ARE working? Is it only this one Gmail account?

Have you called your ISP to make sure that they have not started to block your smtp port for some reason?

Just a thought, but what if you created a new Gmail account and set up the new account in Mail to see if that account experiences the same problem or if it's limited to the one specific account.

off the cuff It just sounds to me that maybe it's not a mail issue but a connection/port issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.