Getting rid of "free space" partition

Reaction score
Up until recently, I had my MacBook Pro's hard drive in 3 partitions: 2 with Mac OS X, and one as a Bootcamp partition. I recently decided that I no longer needed to Mac OS X partitions, so after backing up all the files in one of the partitions I went into Disk Utility and deleted that partition, hoping I could expand the other one to take the free space. Unfortunately, now I have this area listed as "free space," and while I can make another partition in that space, I can't expand my existing partition to take advantage of it. Is there a way for me to get this space back, or perhaps merge 2 partitions together? I'm just afraid of losing ~400GB of space. Thanks for your help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't do it with Disk Utility because you have a Boot Camp partition that can not be moved or altered. You need third party partitioning software which is somewhat expensive. Also, there is no guaranty that the BC partition will survive. iPartition $46.95

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.