iPad accessories on a budget?

Reaction score
I am planning to get the 32 gb new iPad, wifi only, and I need to get iPad accessories on a budget, I know I need some sort of protection for it, an external keyboard, and some small external speakers. can you recommend some good iPad accessories models to buy on a $75-100 budget?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am planning to get the 32 gb new iPad, wifi only, and I need to get iPad accessories on a budget, I know I need some sort of protection for it, an external keyboard, and some small external speakers. can you recommend some good iPad accessories models to buy on a $75-100 budget?

"iPad accessories on a budget"...is sort of an "oxymoron".;) If you can afford to purchase an iPad (which not many folks actually NEED)...then you should be able to afford the accessories.

It's sort of like saying you can afford to buy a Lamborghini...but can't afford to put gasoline in it!;)

My 2 cents,;)

- Nick

p.s. Why not buy the iPad now...and get the accessories later. The iPad is designed to not NEED any accessories.:)

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks, I guess?

I only have enough money for the iPad and $100 for extras.

I really need the keyboard, since I will be using the iPad to type a lot.

I also have lots of video I would like to put on there, so I am opting for the 32 gb version, and that's also why I want external speakers.

But thanks anywhays

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hard to beat the Apple wireless keyboard. And, if I was on a budget I would skip speakers altogether.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Then go for the iPad 2. The "new" iPad doesn't really add all that much in terms of functionality. I'd be willing to bet the casual user won't even notice a difference in the screen (except in running low resolution video and iPhone apps, which will likely suffer since they'll have to be scaled up to a much greater extent).

Then you'll have $200 for accessories, and it will be thinner and lighter to boot.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

"Thanks...I guess"...Hey...just giving it to you straight. Lots of folks out there can't afford an iPad (and wouldn't even be dreaming of getting one).

Since you can afford to purchase an iPad...consider yourself lucky.:)

If you cannot afford all of the accessories you would like for the iPad right now...again...buy the iPad now...and get the accessories later (when you have more money).

Also...if you need all of these accessories...maybe you should be thinking of getting an older used laptop computer (to stay in your budget)...instead of an iPad.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then go for the iPad 2. The "new" iPad doesn't really add all that much in terms of functionality. I'd be willing to bet the casual user won't even notice a difference in the screen (except in running low resolution video and iPhone apps, which will likely suffer since they'll have to be scaled up to a much greater extent).

Then you'll have $200 for accessories, and it will be thinner and lighter to boot.

EXCELLENT idea!!!:) Definitely a great strategy to "leverage" more money for the "accessories" budget!:)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
And, as much as I hate to admit it, he's probably right about the resoloution. I'm tempted to upgrade from my iPad 2 but it probably isn't worth it. :p

C

chas_m

Wait, don't give up.

You want a third-gen iPad AND you have $100 for accessories, and you say you need at least a bluetooth keyboard and a case. I can help you, I just happened to read about the very thing. Give me a second to find it:

Here we go, Belkin's YourType Folio. Features a removable BT keyboard in a folio-type case. $99.99 :)

Belkin YourType Folio + Keyboard for The new iPad and iPad 2 F5L114

Mini-review: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/belkin-yourtype-folio-keyboard-for-ipad-2012/

The keyboard is said to be exceptionally good for a BT keyboard of that style, and even has special function keys for iPad. I've been considering one of these myself.

Sorry I can't help you with speakers, but you likely have (or can get very cheaply) a set of earbuds or headphones that will have to tide you over till you can get some speakers (tax refund time coming up, ka-ching!).

Hope that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.