• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Comparison finds iTunes 1080p video nears Blu-Ray Disc quality

Reaction score
Comparison finds iTunes 1080p video nears Blu-Ray Disc quality

The image quality of Apple's newly released 1080p encoded movies hold their own in a qualitative comparison with the highest resolution consumer format available Blu-Ray Disc.
mf.gif

a2t.img

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
The two things that always make compressed digital content stick out like a sore thumb compared to Blu Ray are banding and artifacts that appear during fast-moving scenes. Unfortunately, Ars's comparison fails to address one of these (using only still images) while showing that the other disparity is still clearly present.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
And let's not forget the fact that Blu-Ray utilizes a lossless audio stream as well. But I think that the point is that for your average consumer, all the above points are fairly moot. Especially if the file is pre downloaded and not streaming in real time. That will at least take care of artifacting/banding.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
The article seems to provide some very direct proof that the file being pre-downloaded doesn't fix the banding problem. That said, if you consider the distance at which most people watch HD content on their TVs, I can see this being considered "good enough" by a lot of people. I'm not sure how I feel about that. The vast majority of MP3s (including all of the MP3s on iTunes) are still not quite at the level of CD quality because of most people deciding they were "good enough" ten years ago. I'd hate to see video quality go backwards as well, but if this kicks off a brave new world of conveniently available legal video content the likes of which we have for music (preferably also without DRM at some point), it may well be worth the cost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'm perfectly OK with a little artifact/banding in the video if when I press play, the movie starts. Instead of having to wait 20 minutes for the blu-ray to load, play the previews, the FBI warnings, and rest of the crap before I even get to the menu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
At $20+ bucks a pop, BluRay BETTER have higher quality stuff! For me, netflix is good enough in quality.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.