Hidden files on desktop

Reaction score
When i look at my desktop I cant see anything but when i open up my hard drive to look at all my documents and click desktop folder there are over 1000 things but i cant click any of them. sometimes if the mouse is in the corner of the desktop it drags something out but i really dont know how.

When i try to delete them from the folder a pop up message says "this is being used by another application" but nothing else is running...

I've tried desktop finder and switching the visibility to invisible but they come up in the desktop folder as visible items - not invisible. (although i do have invisible ones that i cant delete either...)

I tried terminal but i don't really know what that is or how to use it... someone gave me a command to type in but it didnt work when I did.

Please help!!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What command did they make you type? When you look at the Desktop through a Finder window, do you recognize the files?

Give this a try: go to the Go menu > hold down "option" > go to Library > Preferences > move "com.apple.desktop.plist" somewhere safe (like your home folder) > restart your Mac.

OP
S
Reaction score
I can't see any options in the go menu.... i keep trying to delete them and if i drag some randomly show up out of the corner but it takes forever to delete them.. they are all old files/photos that i put in the trash but are hidden on the desktop now!

Reaction score
* Launch the Terminal and enter these commands exactly as shown. The first command activates the ability to see the hidden files:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE Now you must relaunch the Finder by killing it, this is how the changes take effect:

killall Finder

* You can quickly show all hidden files in any Mac OS X save dialogue box by hitting Command+Shift+Period

C

chas_m

I think I may know what's going on.

Try this, Sophie ... in the Finder, go to the View menu in the menubar, choose "View Options" and make sure the very last item says "Sorted by: None" (if it already says this, change it to "Snap to Grid")

Then restart the machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.