The Best iPad clear shield?

Reaction score
iPad owners,

Have any of you applied a clear adhesive type shield to protect your iPad from the minor bumps and scratches? If so, I have a couple questions I hope you can answer.

1) What brand have you used and would you recommend it for someone else?

2) When you applied it, was it easy? I'm watching a lot of YouTube videos of people spraying a skin and then laying it down wet on the iPad. I don't necessarily want to do this on a brand new iPad, but it may just looks more risky than it actually is.

Thanks for any help and I'm sorry this post sounds so much like an infomercial.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I like the Zagg screen protectors. You do spray down the protector then lay it on. If this is your first time doing it - I'd recommend going to a mall that has a Zagg dealer and let them do it for you. The fingerprints were much less when I used the protector.

2 things - the microfiber of the smart cover started to rub off onto the protector so it caused lines on the protector. Looked horrible. Second is the fling joysticks didn't work well with the protector.

I currently keep the front uncovered and just use a smart cover. Seems to be OK - no scratches. (knock on wood)

The spray and stuff are fine. Just let it dry overnight before use.

OP
T
Reaction score
I like the Zagg screen protectors. You do spray down the protector then lay it on. If this is your first time doing it - I'd recommend going to a mall that has a Zagg dealer and let them do it for you. The fingerprints were much less when I used the protector.

2 things - the microfiber of the smart cover started to rub off onto the protector so it caused lines on the protector. Looked horrible. Second is the fling joysticks didn't work well with the protector.

I currently keep the front uncovered and just use a smart cover. Seems to be OK - no scratches. (knock on wood)

The spray and stuff are fine. Just let it dry overnight before use.

This could be an issue because I did order the smart cover. Are you saying the smart cover caused permanent damage to the protector shield?

Reaction score
I personally really dislike the zagg offerings, I find that my finger doesnt slide across as well when a zagg is applied as they are ever so slightly sticky. I am a big fan of the spigen sgp offerings and if they ever make an ipad version of this one i'd be all over it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This could be an issue because I did order the smart cover. Are you saying the smart cover caused permanent damage to the protector shield?

Yeah - it put streaks on the Zagg that I couldn't get off - even with cleaner.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I personally really dislike the zagg offerings, I find that my finger doesnt slide across as well when a zagg is applied as they are ever so slightly sticky. I am a big fan of the spigen sgp offerings and if they ever make an ipad version of this one i'd be all over it!

Have to agree on the Zagg products. They tend to be somewhat "rubbery" and tacky to the touch in my experience. I've also had their InvisibleShield peel up on me at the corners (and stain). And the "lifetime" warranty is bogus - at least on the body protectors. They will replace it *once* in a lifetime, and that replacement requires a $14 shipping fee, which is about 14x their cost for the product.

As far as screen protectors go, the best products I've encountered are made by PowerSupport. They precisely mimic the feel of the glass and are sturdy and nearly transparent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
I've thought about this. Here Apple is providing us the sharpest screen ever, and we are going to apply a plastic sheet over it??? That doesn't make any sense. Plastic will muddy the image. I'm going to leave mine clear for viewing and get a case to go over it when not in use. There's an analogy I could use, but let's just say we don't want to lose the sensation.

I would use a protector for something that goes in my pockets but not this.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

This is exactly why I haven't bothered with one on my iPad either.

I'm using the Smart Cover on the front and a HyperShield on the back. Seems like solid protection to me.

Reaction score
I've thought about this. Here Apple is providing us the sharpest screen ever, and we are going to apply a plastic sheet over it??? That doesn't make any sense. Plastic will muddy the image. I'm going to leave mine clear for viewing and get a case to go over it when not in use. There's an analogy I could use, but let's just say we don't want to lose the sensation.

I completely agree with you, I hate having a piece of plastic on my screens.

Reaction score
We are a year into Zagg screen protectors on our iPads and iPhone and very happy with them. I like the slightly rubbery feel: seems to give me more precision. Took the back one off my iPhone after couple of months to fit a Belkin case and it peeled off with no residue. The film is tough and easy to clean, and no more fingerprints/smudges.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also like the feel of the Zagg and the no finger prints - but it may not be for everyone.

I forgot - I got a power support for the original iPad that was anti-glare. That works well too. It has a different feel to it as well (kinda like touching a matte screen) The anti-glare helped. That being said - the iPad 1 did not have a smart cover so I don't know if power support would have the same staining problem when used with the smart cover.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
I completely agree with you, I hate having a piece of plastic on my screens.

I tried the Zagg and it wasn't worth the $ or effort. It looked cloudy, I could never remove all the little bubble and it felt funny.

So far the screen sans protection is holding up just fine for me and my wife and we use out iPAD about 2 hours a day.

Tom

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.