Increased sizes of fonts on screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27", 3.2 GHz, i5, 16GB 1867 MHz DDR 3, R9 M380 2048 MB
I find the text too small to read easily in the mail etc. I realize that cmd and + give bigger fonts, but since I generally want clearer print, I would like to make adjustments so that bigger fonts are used by default. But I cannot find how to make the change...
New iMac 21´5

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need third party software in order to change the size of fonts in applications so that they will appear larger. "Tinker Tool" is free. Give it a try. LINK

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the suggestion. When reading the FAQs of Tinker Tool, though, it seems a bit more complicated than what my limited experience allows me to do. Apparently, the change of fonts may lead to other, unwanted changes in other elements...
A quote from the answer:
"The appropriate way to increase the size of fonts is to enlarge all parts of the user interface. This is possible by modifying the rendering resolution of the interface which is normally fixed at 72 pixels per inch. "
How is that done?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They're talking about changing the overall resolution of the display which really is not desirable. Tinker Tool works fine. You just need to experiment a bit with it to see if it meets your need and if it doesn't, you can always revert back.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm following your advice, and my first impression is that it seems to work well! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9
Hi;

I got my first Mac (27" iMax), and have to admit that I am stunned about the fact that it is almost impossible to configure the system in order to enable my 53 year old peepers to see the texts clearly. When I purchased the system, I assumed that it would be as easy to configure as in Windows..... NOT! Guess Apple's primary user base is less then 30 years old....

Tinker tool works well, but mucks up texts if you set the fonts too large. And it won't increase the size of menu bar / favorites bar texts, or help texts.

• In DeskTop Finder, under View/View Options, you can change the standard DeskTop font to a max of 16
  • In Safari, under Preferences/Appearance, you can change the standard List and Message fonts; I set them to 18 and 24
  • Im Mail, Preferences/Fonts and Colors will allow you to change some fonts

I find that OSX has some very nice features, but that the much acclaimed user-friendliness of OSX does not live up to it's promise.

Kind regards,

Thymen

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Thymen,
Tinker Tool was a start but I find that your proposals have served me better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.