Unlocking iPhone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I recently purchased an iPhone 4 online. I am in Europe and I can't seem to unlock this phone to use with the SIM cards here. I don't have the original box with the IMEI number. Is there anything I can do to solve this problem???

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Did you buy the phone with a contract somewhere?

I am not sure if jailbreaking can be discussed on this forum (I've been away for a while) but AFAIK, you can unlock the phone by

- Jailbreaking, or
- Getting a developer license

Details here

How to Unlock iPhone 4 - Learn How to Easily Get An Unlocked iPhone 4

Mods, lemme know if this cannot be posted.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's OK to discuss both jail breaking and unlocking of iPhones. Apple doesn't like it but neither come under the US DRM law.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have a suggestion to my problem?

You can work around the problem by jalbreaking your phone, which carries some risks. The link I posted is a good starting point, or just search yourself.

Otherwise you need to contact the carrier it is locked too and try and persuade them. If you bought it with a contract, and therefore subsidy, they might be reluctant unless you pay the full price. If you paid full price, go to Apple and ask them why it's locked.

I cannot think of any other solution.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have found out today that the phone has been IMEI locked thru AT&T. So the seller reported the phone lost to collect the insurance and sold it to me and I can't open it. Is there any way around this at all???

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Well that's pretty shady and I think you might be SOL as far as unlocking it goes, but you could call AT&T anyway and tell him your story and perhaps they will give you the unlock code..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have found out today that the phone has been IMEI locked thru AT&T. So the seller reported the phone lost to collect the insurance and sold it to me and I can't open it. Is there any way around this at all???

If you knew that when buying the phone, you're an accessory to fraud which is a pretty serious offense, so you might want to keep that to yourself...

As soon as you call AT&T, the game s up really. By the way, the IMEI number is in the system settings under general. If you're saying you can't even get that far, plug it into a Mac and try re-registering.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.