Erasing Partitioned Flash Drive

Reaction score
Earlier today I decided to use a flash drive and load the Lion Recovery Assistant on there - anyway changed my mind and now I want to use my flash drive as just a flash drive. It seems though that recovery has partitioned my flash drive and I can now only access 700mb of it.

I went into disk utility and tried to erase and re-format the whole thing, and had the error Partition failed with error: could not open the device or something like that. I can erase the 700mb part but not the other. I've tried multiple times with multiple formats, and on a Windows PC and nothing has worked.

Does anyone know how I can erase and format the whole drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I am not at a Mac right now so might get the terminology wrong, but in Disk Utility, I am sure there is a function to remove all partitions then repartition as a single partition. Right now, you probably have two partitions on the drive.

If you can get that far, it's just a case of formatting the new single partition as you require.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.