problem playing you tube videos

Reaction score
I am having trouble with you playing you tube videos. The sound plys before the image and the image is very choppy ( almost like a slide show ). My mac is an Os x 10.4.11. and I just recently updated safari, so I am unsure what the issue is? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66ghz Intel Core i7 8GB 1067 MHz
did the videos work fine before you did the update? and what is the spec of your mac?

OP
C
Reaction score
The video worked for awhile and then it did'nt, so thats when I updated it. Specs? as in the type of Mac? It is a Mac OS X 10.4.11, not sure if this is what you mean?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am having trouble with you playing you tube videos. The sound plys before the image and the image is very choppy ( almost like a slide show ). My mac is an Os x 10.4.11. and I just recently updated safari, so I am unsure what the issue is? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

More than likely (if you're running OS 10.4.11) you have an older Mac computer...and the simple answer is...it's cpu & video just aren't powerful enough to run Youtube videos smoothly.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
The video worked for awhile and then it did'nt, so thats when I updated it. Specs? as in the type of Mac? It is a Mac OS X 10.4.11, not sure if this is what you mean?

Go to the Apple logo on the top left of the screen, click 'About this Mac' and let us know what the specs are. Just because it's an older Mac running Tiger, doesn't mean it shouldn't be able to play YouTube videos. My Wife's ancient Core Duo runs them fine (although admittedly she's on 10.6.8).

You might need to download the latest version of Flash, or even better sign up for the YouTube HTML5

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

This will force most content to play native h.264 rather than Flash, which is much kinder to older Mac hardware (actually, all Mac hardware!)

Reaction score
Hi cmeffa,

I experienced something very similar recently which drove me mad and caused me to spend days trying to get to the bottom of the problem. Members of the forum were very helpful and
one of the suggestions was to upgrade my Adobe Flash player.

It transpired that in order to do this I needed to upgrade my OS from leopard OS X 10.5.6 to snow leopard OS X 10.6.3 to download the latest free flash upgrade. There is a downside to this in terms of time and that was the OS X upgrade was not available via a download and I had to wait about a week to have it delivered. It cost £26.00, took about 45 minutes to load and I decided to check if there was any improvement to my video player and lo and behold, it worked a treat.

Snow Leopard apparently enhances the video player - I think this may be via quick player - but everything worked fine and so I didn't bother upgrading Adobe Flash player. You may wish to do this in addition to having the quick player upgrade. I'm unsure whether both video players are compatible with each other but it would only cost you a bit more time to have the latest upgrade of both.

I hope this is helpful.

Good luck.

jimturn

OP
C
Reaction score
ZOOLOOK the specs are: Power Mac G4 / Cpu type Power PC G4 (2.9) / Number of CPUs: 1 / CPU speed: 400 MHZ / Memory: 384 MB. Not sure if this info helps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
ZOOLOOK the specs are: Power Mac G4 / Cpu type Power PC G4 (2.9) / Number of CPUs: 1 / CPU speed: 400 MHZ / Memory: 384 MB. Not sure if this info helps?

Wow... that's certainly a veteran!

I would suggest trying to enroll in the HTML5 trial on YouTube... even that lowly processor should manage 360p resolution in h.264 (a technical way of saying the default settings for most YouTube videos).

Reaction score
I think I found the solution?

All the sudden I was having terrible quality playback on my MacBook Air (I have the latest, fastest version). It came out of the blue. And it was on Youtube.

Problem is Youtube opted me IN WITHOUT ASKING ME to trying out HTML5 video playing for them. Pretty freaking stupid. I can't believe even my fast laptop had trouble with it.

Go to this URL and choose the option near the bottom to leave the HTML 5 Trial.
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Hope this helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.