Can you help me with Youtube problems?

Reaction score
I recently reinstalled OS and my the software along with it. Now on youtube, I've been unable to load 50% of youtube videos. It's telling me my browser does not support any of the available video formats (while also telling me it should be working with any safari version 4+) I'm running Safari 5.0.3 and Mac OS 10.6.6. Any ideas?

OP
M
Reaction score
I recently reinstalled OS and my applications to restore the system back to new. I'm relatively new to Macs. I hope I haven't screwed things up by reinstalling OS, but I was experiencing some glitches and thought that was a surefire way of handling it. I also deleted my hard drive in the process after backing up my files.

Just after reinstalling OS, I've been having problems with Youtube videos so I'm worried the reinstall may be the problem. Youtube told me that I my browser did not recognize the available video formats. However, it also said that versions of Safari 4+ should have no problem with HTML5. 50% of videos won't load.

In hopes to fix the problem, I've started by downloading the latest version of OS and Safari. I ran scan for software updates I couldn't find anything so I went to Apple's website for the download. The things I would like to show up are the new versions of OS and Safari for example. To be honest, I'm not sure what kind of updates I'm scanning for when I click "check for updates". As of now, I'm running OS 10.6.6 and Safari 5.0.3.

What does system update look for?

What can I do to get youtube running?

What else should I do after reinstalling OS?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not cross post or double post. Only start one thread regarding your question. I've merged both your posts together here.

Reaction score
You did install Flash right? Not all Youtube videos have gone to HTML5 yet.

OP
M
Reaction score
Please do not cross post or double post. Only start one thread regarding your question. I've merged both your posts together here.

I apologize, I wasn't quite thorough the first time. Thanks for merging.

OP
M
Reaction score
You did install Flash right? Not all Youtube videos have gone to HTML5 yet.

Yes, after upgrading to the newer edition of snow leopard and safari I install the latest version of adobe flash player. And that's what seemed to solve the problem.

A simple answer to my long drawn out question lol. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.