Path to find Photos

Reaction score
I am a long-time PC user who has just switched over to a new MacBook Pro & have a number of questions. I'm still learning the mac 'way of life' but am confused by iPhoto. How do I easily access the photos that were transferred into iPhotos (by the Apple Store team) so I can find them to use in FB or when I'm working on my web site & want to upload a photo?

How best to manage iPhoto? I used to collect photos in folders in My Pictures on my PC - what is the best way to manage photos so they're easily accessible in iPhoto?

Is there an easy rule of thumb for downloading programs & getting them to end up where I want them? I downloaded a Kindle app & Calibre (book program) & don't know where they ended up.

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi,
You seem to imply that when you open iPhoto that there are no photos there..is this correct?

If the Apple Store team did this then they've not done a good job. Did they just drop them into a folder on your desktop perhaps?

Normally all your photos will end up in the iPhoto Library which is available by default when you open iPhoto.

There is an option in iPhoto under File>Import into Library, which is one way, once you select them (that is if you find them)..another is to drag and drop any that you find onto the iPhoto icon in the dock at the bottom of your desktop. If you want to upload a photo to Facebook, when in iPhoto go Share>Facebook on the menu bar at the top of your desktop.

Apps when downloaded tend to end up in the Applications folder which you can find by using Finder, the Applications folder icon in the dock or typing in the name in Spotlight on the menu bar ( top right magnifying glass icon).

Hope this helps.

C

chas_m

How do I easily access the photos that were transferred into iPhotos (by the Apple Store team) so I can find them to use in FB or when I'm working on my web site & want to upload a photo?

iPhoto DOES work differently than you're used to, but trust me this is a GOOD IDEA.

Everything you want to do can be done within iPhoto. For Facebook, support is built right into iPhoto under "Share."

For uploading a photo to a website, simply select the photo in iPhoto, drag it out to the desktop (this creates a copy), upload the copy and then trash the copy.

How best to manage iPhoto?

Let iPhoto do the managing. This is often a hard concept for PC switchers to cope with, but it's a key concept of the Mac: let the computer do the managing, that's what a computer is for. With particular regards to iPhoto, it is REALLY UNWISE to go tinkering around inside the "vault" iPhoto uses along with its database to keep your photos protected and organised. Anything you could POSSIBLY want to do to your photos can be done from within iPhoto (even when this includes editing in another program altogether!). Remembering that makes using iPhoto a lot easier, as you no longer have to saddle yourself with organising "busy work" and can just get on with the editing and the sharing and such.

Is there an easy rule of thumb for downloading programs & getting them to end up where I want them? I downloaded a Kindle app & Calibre (book program) & don't know where they ended up.

If you used Safari to download them, the installers or dmg files are in your Downloads folder, which is in your Home folder. You can change the default location for downloaded files to be your desktop if you prefer in Safari's preferences, HOWEVER having said that I strongly recommend that you do NOT get in the habit of keeping files there on anything but a temporary basis.

Most Mac software TENDS to come in either a DMG file (disc image, or .iso in Windows parlance) or as an installer. Both ultimately end up putting the application in the Applications folder; either the installer does it automatically or you do it manually.

Reaction score
To upload photos to a website there is no need to open iPhoto and drag the photo to the desktop and then delete, when the upload window opens from the website just scroll down in the sidebar past the "Pictures" folder till you see "Media" and select "Photos". This will open the browser window to show iPhoto just as if you were in iPhoto. Seems a lot of people over look "Media" for uploading Music, Photos and Movies this way.

Browse iPhoto for uploads.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.