NAS Device thoughts and advice...

Reaction score
Hello all :)

Not sure if this is the right sub-forum, but could use a little NAS related advice. I'm currently looking at a QNAP NAS, the 6TB TS212 - Q1) is anyone using this?

Apparently it will happily stream iTunes content, which is exactly what I'm looking for as I'm trying to digitise my DVD collection. So, Q2 - what's the best file format and size to replay movies through AppleTV?

Are there any pitfalls I should look to avoid? Apologies for the dumb questions, first NAS device and all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
It will not play movies or music to apple tv. Neither will the Synology Unit. Unfortunately they can be an Itunes music server to a PC or Mac as a shared library.

Apple TV Requires Home sharing which only Itunes itself can provide. Unless you Jailbrake

I myself picked up an old G5 Tower For cheap to serve my apple tv

also not talk of DVD Backing up on this forum.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I have a Netgear ReadyNAS that I use to stream all my media (music through iTunes-like service and the rest through DLNA). My XBOX360 can stream video/music from the NAS, so can my Samsung TV.

As stated, trying to do this with Apple TV means you have to use iTunes somewhere in the picture, not something that 'pretends' to be iTunes..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.