QuickTime X + Perian + High Bitrate MKV 1080p

Reaction score
Hello,

I have QT X, version 10.1 (131) and Perian 1.2.3.
When playing high bitrate scenes of movies that are contained in an MKV file, playback becomes unbearably slow. The same cannot be said about VLC, MplayerX and Mplayer OS X Extended. So you'd wonder why I insist on using QT X instead, and the reason is the contrast and brightness of the player. They are much more to my liking on QT X.

So umm... I require assistance. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can tweak the brightness and contrast to match that in vlc

OP
Y
Reaction score
I know that it's possible, but I tried and couldn't get a similar result.

C

chas_m

Hello,

I have QT X, version 10.1 (131) and Perian 1.2.3.
When playing high bitrate scenes of movies that are contained in an MKV file, playback becomes unbearably slow. The same cannot be said about VLC, MplayerX and Mplayer OS X Extended. So you'd wonder why I insist on using QT X instead, and the reason is the contrast and brightness of the player. They are much more to my liking on QT X.

So umm... I require assistance. :D

QuickTime (unlike the other three you mentioned) doesn't have a native decoder for the MKV container so it relies on Perian, which apparently can't handle the high-bitrate fast enough.

Solution: convert the MKV to MP4 or something like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
and if you do go down that route, here are some good tools to do so:
MP4tools Home

OP
Y
Reaction score
How long does it take to convert a 90 min video in average? Are we talking minutes, or hours? BTW, the QT X version is 10.0, not 10.1...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That depends on the power of your machine, which video format is used within the MKV container, the size of the original file, available memory etc etc.

The best thing to do is try it and see.

OP
Y
Reaction score
OK, it took roughly 18 minutes to convert a 12.44GB MKV file, however:
1. Neither VLC nor QT X can seek the file. That is, I cannot fast forward the movie.
2. QT X plays sound only through the left speaker. VLC does fine in this regard.
3. The produced file's size is 3GB lower than that of the original file, and I only unticked the embedded subtitle file before I hit the Convert button.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.