• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A Plug for Mattress Firm

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I am in no way affiliated with them (though they now have a sizeable chunk of my money) ;) but I believe in giving good reports on businesses that I feel have dealt well with me.

We recently decided to purchase an adjustable bed (acid reflux problems helped by being able to raise the head). After visiting a few stores we ended up at a Mattress Firm local store (they are a National chain) because they had a model on the floor of an adjustable base I wanted to see.
The sticker price was high and I mentioned to the salesman that I could purchase the same base online for a lot less (mainly just to see his response). He didn't bat an eye and gave me a brochure showing their policy to price match (both before and after the sale for 30 days) including internet prices.
I asked him to quote me a price and he visited the sites I had looked at and some I was unaware of, looking for the lowest price and ended up quoting me a total price including tax that was better than what I had been able to come up with.
Follow on service and delivery were excellent, so I have no problem heartily recommending that anyone looking for a new mattress or bed frame to give them a consideration.

Razormac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I've never hear of Mattress Firm. My bed is a Sleep Number bed from Select Comfort. I love it! Firmness/softness can be adjusted on either side independently. No more waking up with sore shoulders!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A 4' x 8' 3/4" piece of plywood works pretty good. Of course you'll need two pieces for a double bed. Extra firm, good for your back and Lowes will price match..... ;P

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
A 4' x 8' 3/4" piece of plywood works pretty good. Of course you'll need two pieces for a double bed. Extra firm, good for your back and Lowes will price match..... ;P

I think we think alike...I've used plywood for sagging chairs & couches as well!;)

- Nick

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

I think we think alike...I've used plywood for sagging chairs & couches as well!;)

- Nick

I actually did 2x4s and foam rubber for a month or so just to be sure the elevation helped . . . trust me, not a good permanent solution. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
I've never hear of Mattress Firm. My bed is a Sleep Number bed from Select Comfort. I love it! Firmness/softness can be adjusted on either side independently. No more waking up with sore shoulders!

We simply love our sleep number bed. Had it for years. I could never go back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I tried a Sleep Number bed. Couldn't get over the fact that no matter what, it still felt like a cheap inflatable air mattress. Bought an awesome memory foam mattress instead. Like sleeping on a giant pillow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bought an awesome memory foam mattress instead. Like sleeping on a giant pillow.

Great for sleeping on, not so hot for, um, uh, you sink in, er, it's too soft... #*@!! This is not going well! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great for sleeping on, not so hot for, um, uh, you sink in, er, it's too soft... #*@!! This is not going well! ;)

Eh. We work around that. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Eh. We work around that. ;)
Around, on the side of, underneath, well away from etc etc.. ha! Yeah, I also have a memory foam mattress because my back is just pure crap, and that sort of "activity" is not always easy on it. Though I will say, that it makes for a great workout because of the resistance!

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Around, on the side of, underneath, well away from etc etc.. ha! Yeah, I also have a memory foam mattress because my back is just pure crap, and that sort of "activity" is not always easy on it. Though I will say, that it makes for a great workout because of the resistance!

Doug

Back pain is one of the reasons I went with it. Been waking up pain free since I've had it, unless I do something to hurt it during the day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back pain is one of the reasons I went with it. Been waking up pain free since I've had it, unless I do something to hurt it during the day.

My sleep number bed cured my "bed sores". Nothing severe, mind you, but I did wake up sore, or worse yet, woke up because I was getting sore and had to lay on my other side. I haven't had to deal with that since getting this bed. (Sorry if that's a repeat from a prior post in this aging thread. Maybe it will be put to bed soon.) ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.