Snow Leopard | Installation fail?

Reaction score
Hi - I've been hunting through the forum and I apologise if this has already been answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything about it.

I have just received my family copy of 10.6.3 Snow Leopard and sucessfully upgraded my macbook. When we tried to upgrade the imac (from Leopard OS) the upgrade seems to have installed ok, but when the machine automatically reboots, I get a white screen with an endlessly spinning loading symbol.

So far we've let it sit spinning like that for 15 minutes and then turned it off (this problem didn't arise with the macbook).

THEN we couldn't get the disk out of the drive (we can do that now!).

Another two attempts to reinstall resulted in the same problem.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what might be the issue and how I might resolve it.

This is my first post btw, *waves* nice to meet you :)

Ali x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Welcome.

The first thing to do is boot in Leopard and open Disk Utility. Run verify/repair disk and permissions. It's also worth checking the hard disk has a nice chunk of free space and isn't full.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you for this - as suggested, have opened Utility (am back in Leopard) and checked disk and received message that nothing requires to be repaired.

We recently installed an additional memory card in the imac, so we should have sufficient memory.

Ali x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Do you check/repair permissions too?

Re: memory. Memory/RAM is the fast temporary storage used by the machine when it's in use.

When I was referring to space, I meant the permanent storage on the hard disk. You can see how much space you have on your Mac HD in Disk Utility

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Just to verify since you don't post the specs, is the iMac and Intel Mac or a G5?
If it is a G5 iMac you cannot install Snow Leopard, Leopard is the highest OS it will run.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.